Is it wrong to pick a dog due to color? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Is it wrong to pick a dog due to color?

I know that color should be very low on the list when puppy shopping. First should be health, temperament, lines, etc...

I know what I feel a german shepherd should be, I've done my research, I've picked working lines, I've basically given the breeder free choice to place a puppy with me. My only requirement, I want a male. I told her otherwise, you give me the puppy you think will be best for my situation. (Spartanville, BTW).

I was second pick male on a breeding that sadly did not take, ok I'm willing to wait for the right pup. I've been put on hold for another breeding, but there's already 3 ahead of me so now I'm 4th pick male. Once again, I'm confident with what she's producing. I don't need top sport or working pick, I want a companion animal. A pet. 4th pick fine with me. But I was talking to a friend that breeds, and I was telling him that it's scaring me to be 4th pick because I REALLY REALLY want a sable, not a black or a bicolor.

Now he's giving me crap for buying a dog because of color, but in this situation is that really so bad? Why can't I have the whole package? Black dogs can be beautiful, but I'm not personally a huge fan of them. I've had my heart set on a great working line sable for years, is maybe passing up a pup for another litter wrong because of color?

When I got Zeke, I REALLY wanted a black and tan saddle. As he grew, obviously that didn't happen and now he's an extended saddle. Not what I wanted in color, but I love him and think he's gorgeous. So at the end of the day, no I would not HATE a black pup, I would love the pup and love how he looked regardless.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

You spend a lot of money on a puppy when you buy one, and I do not think it is wrong to pick because of color. If you've found a breeder you like and see fit for you to do business with, I do not see why wanting a certain color would matter. Bottom line: your friend, your money, your choice.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I told Karlo's breeder early on that I didn't want a black pup. I wanted a sable. So if there were only black males in the litter I'd pass...and possibly lose the deposit.
I had a black dog previously and had my heart set on a sable.
I would have waited for another litter if there were no sable males.
Only two males were born~ all pups were sable! But I still didn't know for certain a pup would be for me until the temperament test at 7 weeks.
In hindsight, I know I'd kick myself for passing up a black male pup from that breeding.
I lucked out, getting a sable male, my dream dog!
If you have your heart set on a certain color, and know what the breeder is producing, waiting for just the right pup is not a bad thing at all! At the time I was researching getting a pup, Spartanville was the other breeder I was going to go with, but decided I didn't want all DDR lines.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I told Karlo's breeder early on that I didn't want a black pup. I wanted a sable. So if there were only black males in the litter I'd pass...and possibly lose the deposit.
I had a black dog previously and had my heart set on a sable.
I would have waited for another litter if there were no sable males.
Only two males were born~ all pups were sable! But I still didn't know for certain a pup would be for me until the temperament test at 7 weeks.
In hindsight, I know I'd kick myself for passing up a black male pup from that breeding.
I lucked out, getting a sable male, my dream dog!
If you have your heart set on a certain color, and know what the breeder is producing, waiting for just the right pup is not a bad thing at all! At the time I was researching getting a pup, Spartanville was the other breeder I was going to go with, but decided I didn't want all DDR lines.
I've been up in the air about pure DDR lines. The breeding I WAS in line for was pure DDR. However when the bitch didn't take, I moved to a breeding that was half DDR/half Czech. I am actually a little excited for that prospect.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Funny, I'm the opposite - I'd LOVE a solid black or bi-color! Of course it has to be a longcoat. Now that we have Halo, I wouldn't mind another sable, which was probably my least favorite color/pattern prior to that.

Color should not be the only criteria or even the most important criteria, but I agree with Jane. If you have a breeder you're considering, (or a few breeders) that are producing dogs with the kind of temperament that you're looking for I see nothing wrong with preferring a particular color, and hoping that there are pups in the litter that will meet your requirements as well as being the color you want.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

While color shouldn't be the only thing you look for in a pup everyone has there own preferences when it comes to color so yes there is no reason for it not to be part of your selection process.
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

when you buy from a reputable breeder nerves, temperament,
health and being sound is a given. i always pick according to color
and sex. i don't have much faith in a breeder picking a puppy for me.
the pup they pick for you isn't the same pup days later, a week
later, a month later, etc. how does a breeder always have that
certain pup for that certain person?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

my one criteria was "no solid black dogs" It was actually the one deal breaker when we were looking for a dog.
It was DH's only request when we considered another dog. He just doesn't like the look and I think that, since he was willing to put up with anything I wanted, that I should let him have his wish.
It didn't change who I was going to get a pup from. If the only pup that was a good match for us was a solid black, then we would have waited for another litter.
Dainerra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "4th pick", isn't the breeder going to pick which pup goes to which owner?

Is it wrong to pick by color? It depends. If you have two puppies that are equal in all respects, but one is your favorite color, it makes sense to pick that one. But if you had to pass up a pup whose temperament and personality fits your lifestyle perfectly, just to pick the one with your favorite color, I don't think that's in your best interest.

I wouldn't turn down a dog of any color, if it were my perfect dog. I do love dark sables and bicolors, and I love a dark face, but nothing cosmetic is a dealbreaker for me.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

All things being equal, get the color you want. I like them all, I'm easy that way.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.