Is it wrong to pick a dog due to color? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think the biggest mistake someone can make in choosing a dog is being so focused on what they want they become blind to what they're getting

For example, person A decides they want a stock coat B&T stockcoat. There is only one in the litter and they're so focused on how it looks they decide to overlook the fact the puppy is fearful and high energy. Rather then choose another more appropriately tempered and medium energy but B&T long stock coat they take the stock coat home. Now with the proper training the dog might turn out fine, but maybe the hyper puppy bites the neighborhood child who has pinned it in a corner. Suddenly that dog is a danger and winds up back at the breeder, a shelter, or even worse the vet to be euthanized. If person A wasn't so blinded by their vision of the perfect dog they would have noticed the flaws and probably stepped back. Getting focused on one thing over all others can be a recipe for disaster

If you honestly want anything specific regarding breed, sex, or colour that's fine but understand you might not get it right away and be willing to wait for the right match. That way you stack the odds in your favour!

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Crimes Send a message via Skype™ to Crimes

In some cases, I feel like it can be a bit rash to pick a puppy SOLELY based on color, but reading the OPs post...you are not in the wrong at all!
You are paying good money for this animal, it's only natural that you spend it on something you really want.
What it all comes down to is patience, which you have proven.
Somewhere, there is a good temperament, companion, sable shepherd, waiting just for you (:

It will happen!
Crimes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #23 (permalink)

I don't think it's a bad thing to wish for a certain color, if your going with a breeder you trust, you need to make that clear from the start. However, color shouldn't be the top priority and one needs to be comfortable with the fact you may not get the color you want, but the perfect dog for you.

I have never gotten a dog based on color, temperament, health, gender, are my first priorities, whatever color it's been , has been ok with me. I have been blessed to have / had some really nice dogs that happen to be the color I prefer.

I DO want it all tho, and my next one I want another male, bicolor or black, but the whole package has to come into play and I'm willing to wait for that perfect one

So to the OP, if they only have blacks or bi males, you can send him to me)

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

With Cooper I really liked the breeder and it just so happened that this litter was solid blacks. I've never been particularly fond of solid colours but now I think I would probably prefer only blacks in the future! (of course if everything else matched what I wanted)
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
bianca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #25 (permalink)

My husband wanted a black puppy and nothing else. However, the times we went to the breeders to watch the puppies play and interact there was this one sable male that really stood out to him and he just couldn't get him out of his mind. Guess which one he ended up choosing? He still still talks about getting an all black one day but he doesnt regret his decision.

I don't think it is wrong to want a particular color if the breeder you are looking at is already producing quality puppies. However, I dont think you should pass up the perfect pup for you because it isn't the color you were wanting. I think you should just wait until the litter gets here and just see how you feel when you see the puppies. You may end up surprising yourself with what you choose.
apenn0006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

I'm looking for a breeder that breeds dogs in the color I prefer.
I like Ruger's looks so it'd be one colored like him, with a dark face/blanket or saddle, but definitely dark face.

When I find that, then comes one that breeds for health and temperament. And I have to have a male. I don't want another female on the off chance she grows up to be like Libby who can barely tolerate other females.

I think I've found her, btw
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I don't think it's a bad thing to wish for a certain color, if your going with a breeder you trust, you need to make that clear from the start. However, color shouldn't be the top priority and one needs to be comfortable with the fact you may not get the color you want, but the perfect dog for you.

I DO want it all tho, and my next one I want another male, bicolor or black, but the whole package has to come into play and I'm willing to wait for that perfect one
That is how I feel.

There are many excellent breeders out there that would produce puppies that would be perfect family companions.

I'm willing to wait for my long coat, dark sable bitch with enough drive to make training easy and fun and with a solid temperament.

That's my 90% perfect dog. If she came from at least second generation raw fed parents with rabies-only vaccination history - THAT would be 100% perfect!!
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I used to want a black sable, or just a sable. When I went to get my last shepherd, I had my mind set to get the sable male of the litter (the solid black male was gone, the others were a few white females and a b/t female).
Well, when I got there, I fell in love with the b/t female. She wasn't the gender or color I wanted. But I knew she was for me, so she's the one I got! (:

Now, I have my heart set on a red/black German showline male (I would love an extended saddle). Because of the breeders on my list, it is very likely I will get the temperament, health, etc I need. AND the color I want! (:
Like everyone else is saying, if you trust your breeder and they are breeding correctly so that temperament, health, etc aren't questionable then I think it's fine to go for a specific coloring.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting a certain color, as long as that is not the sole reason you get a puppy. My first GSD wound up being a sable. I got him at 15 1/2, knew nothing about GSD's and got him from a BYB. As he got older I was a bit disappointed that he did not look like the "typical GSD" that I had dreamt about. However, I grew to prefer sables to a typical saddle pattern. When he died and I got in contact with Glock's breeder I told her I preferred a sable male. I was 4th in line for a male, there wound up being 8 males. First I said lighter sable, but then said I would prefer a darker sable. All of this of course was dependent upon personality and temperament of the puppy. I wound up with the only long coat of the litter who is dark/black sable. I was a bit unsure of a long coat at first, but shortly I LOVED the look of long coats. I wouldn't trade Glock's looks or personality for the world.

Megan

Amadeus 1/13/2003-10/20/2010 RIP
Glock 1/25/2011
idahospud49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.