Is it wrong to pick a dog due to color? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well, first off, is the breeding in question going to produce solid blacks or bi-colors? Those colors are generally less common so I wouldn't get too concerned. My female is a bi-color (which was fine with me) my husband's male is a solid black. We currently have 4 sables, 2 bicolors a solid black and a blanket back, plus 2 show line black and reds. In my experience I've always been pleasantly surprised when I ended up getting a pup from a different color than I had in mind. My current girl was the only surviving pup from a litter that was my second chance with this breeder so I was happy just to get a live pup, the color became a non-issue. Now that I've had her for 2 years I have grown to love the color because she is such a character and I can't imagine anything else.
If you totally have your heart set on a sable, then tell the breeder, just be aware that being 4th in line means that it may mean you will end up given then option of a color you don't love. In that case would you walk away from the breeding or not? That is really your decision.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No I don't think it's wrong as long as there's enough selection

When I chose Jazzy there were three puppies available, one white and two black. I had just put down my black cocker spaniel so seeing the black puppies was hard emotionally and I was hoping ferverantly that the white puppy would be a good match. After meeting all three it turns out she was and I was very pleased to bring a different colour dog home that wouldn't remind me of my cocker spaniel. But I knew walking in the chance of that single white dog matching me was slim so I had to play the odds

With Delgado's litter there was one bicolour and the rest were sable, I badly wanted a sable so at first didn't pay much attention to the bicolour. When the breeder told me she was I considering between two sables and the bicolour for me I took a good hard look at all three and found one sable and the bicolour stood out to me based on temperament. As they grew to my surprise the bicolour matched everything I was looking for to a T BUT for his colour even better then the sable. I thought about it long and hard and spoke to the breeder about the two and each personality and the bicolour was the best match for me both by my assessment and the breeders. I could have pushed and probably taken the sable so the dog would have the colour I was looking for but Delgado is a amazing dog. I've never had a dog slip into my life so fast and well. I would have missed out on one heck of a dog if I didn't look past the colour

My point is, don't judge a book by it's colour and I really mean that. You might go on looking for one thing and find your mind totally changed if you keep it open.

Best case scenario if you're really set on one I'd find a breeder with a litter with everything you're looking for including colour so you have the best chance for success

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

What do you mean by "extended saddle"?
I've never heard this expression before.
Atticus5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
when you buy from a reputable breeder nerves, temperament,
health and being sound is a given. i always pick according to color
and sex. i don't have much faith in a breeder picking a puppy for me.
the pup they pick for you isn't the same pup days later, a week
later, a month later, etc. how does a breeder always have that
certain pup for that certain person?
LOL, really?
I learned the hard way never pick for color I have a black male, ten grand, and I hate black. My bitches are bi color! My dream color is none of my dogs but, what I do with them is a dream

I could tell you another story when I bought my daughters first pony for color, it was not worth it!!
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Just have patience and wait for your favorite color, you are gonna have the dog for 10+ years, do you really need to rush and pick the color you don't want? There will be time for your perfect dog. I would never get a color I don't want even if the puppy was free. My first choice is black/red and second is sable my least favorite is white.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "4th pick", isn't the breeder going to pick which pup goes to which owner?

Is it wrong to pick by color? It depends. If you have two puppies that are equal in all respects, but one is your favorite color, it makes sense to pick that one. But if you had to pass up a pup whose temperament and personality fits your lifestyle perfectly, just to pick the one with your favorite color, I don't think that's in your best interest.

I wouldn't turn down a dog of any color, if it were my perfect dog. I do love dark sables and bicolors, and I love a dark face, but nothing cosmetic is a dealbreaker for me.

This is what I told myself when I got Rocket. I knew he was a LSC, and I didn't want that. I've admired many, and there are some absolutely breathtaking ones. But ever since I was a kid, I've had a vision of a GSD and it wasn't a LSC. Rocket's temperament though, or what was visible at 9 weeks, was everything I wanted. Although I'm still hoping he matures to be a bit more aloof/suspicious, he really is perfect in every other way. And of course I think he's extremely handsome, heh. BUT.......

That doesn't mean that I still don't wish he were a short coat. Ah well, in the end, it's not a deal-breaker. It's far more important to me that the DOG is a right fit, not the color/coat. But since you are ok with waiting, I say wait and get what you want. For me, there is a "better" time of year than others, since I work a heavy seasonal job. So I get/got one shot a year.

Be sure to let us know!

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
Just have patience and wait for your favorite color, you are gonna have the dog for 10+ years, do you really need to rush and pick the color you don't want? There will be time for your perfect dog. I would never get a color I don't want even if the puppy was free. My first choice is black/red and second is sable my least favorite is white.

Point being there might be a color you do not like (my worst would be sable) and I have had, and do not like my colors but let me just say they are super good dogs (mine are)!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony View Post
Point being there might be a color you do not like (my worst would be sable) and I have had, and do not like my colors but let me just say they are super good dogs (mine are)!!!
you know what it is like people asking you what kind of dog you have walking somewhere if it is not a bl/tn, or bl/red? Sometimes I even feel bad
Old 12-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Please do not buy for color, the people I know drop 25 to 50k or more on a dog min. I had a good, very good dog I did not like the color but I did love her because she was that good

Last edited by harmony; 12-09-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #20 (permalink)

I agree with Harmony.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Suddenly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.