Is this the right puppy for us? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #41 (permalink)

OK but having a rare example of a GSD that doesn't shed is not the same as telling the OP, who is concerned in particular about shedding, that GSDs aren't that bad. That is setting the OP up for failure. Even if I had a hairless GSD I'd still tell him/her that they are known for shedding a LOT. Do not get one if you are not prepared to deal with shedding and if you get a dog with a very tight coat then consider yourself lucky. For one thing your dog is not even mature so the coat texture may change yet.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #42 (permalink)
Knighted Member

All I know is that the amount of GSD hair in my MINI Cooper is astronomical. And it weaves itself into every thing. I can't wait to get a minivan so I can keep the girls out of the MINI.

We just resign ourselves to having dog hair on things.

If shedding is an issue, then there are plenty of great larger breeds that don't shed. Standard poodles for instance..

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Zelda ~ 14 yo Italian Greyhound, puppymill rescue
Mimi ~ the meezer
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #43 (permalink)
Elite Member

I gave up reading this entire thread, but advice to the original poster: If you are worried about shedding and mess, then rethink your priorities. If you have 4 kids, I would imagine your house has some level of mess anyway! ( unless you are superwoman)
There are far worse issues with dogs than shedding. Most dogs shed some..smaller they are they less hair. My sister in law did not want shedding and that was basically her only concern! Ok, when I think of dogs, I think of temperament and size as my main concern. Anyway, she got a labradoodle from a back yard breeder who mixed amercan lab with a standard poodle..YIKES. Its everything I warned her about, its a big spaz! But, not too much shedding. Oh yeah, lots of trips to the costly groomer.
So, op..german shepherds can and do make great family dogs. You need to put effort into them. Do you have time? Only you know that. You need to worry about other things than hair..just get a good vaccum and broom!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
She has a very short coat.
Length of coat has nothing to do with it. Even then, a dog can bring in tons of dirt in it's coat and drop that off along with the tumbleweeds of fur.

I can think of two high shedding dogs with extremely short coats right off the bat; Pugs and Boxers. Both drop fur like there's no tomorrow. GSDs are the same way. If it's not their undercoats shedding out (sometimes almost constant although 2x a year they need thorough brushing to keep that somewhat at bay) it's the guard hairs dropping off.

I dare everyone with a GSD in the home to go to a random corner in your house this moment and find that tumbleweed of fur! Post it up!

FTR, the last Pug we had was black, our floors are light pine. I'd sweep in the AM and by noon the floor was covered with his black hairs as if it had been peppered!
If you want a low shedding breed...Dachshunds are it. However, they aren't great with small kids.

As others mentioned Poodles and Schnauzers are low (non-) shedding breeds...but I'd rather brush and sweep than pay $40-50 every 2mos. to have them clipped.

Last edited by msvette2u; 11-25-2012 at 11:37 AM.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

a healthy GSD does shed . the amount is determined by the environment that it lives in . Dogs that have natural light cycles , outdoors as sample, will tend to have seasonal sheds. Sometimes it comes out in clumps . No matter how much you brush the clump (think buffalo) will hang on till it is ready and the dog looks like sculptured carpeting . Dogs that are more indoor and have long light hours , as you would in your house , tend to shed throughout the year loosing hair , not in a big massive seasonal type shed.

The question you posed "Is this the right puppy for us" is actually a two point question. The first is is this the right BREED for us? The second would be , is this the right puppy for us ? That would be determined by your household and the pup that you are considering. You cannot just go out and fall in love with a cute 8 week old pup and think it will work out.

If you decide this is the right breed , the holiday season is a terrible time to bring one home . Already enough demands and drama without adding to it . If you decide this is the right breed there are several people on this forum that could suggest good breeders in your area, look at the pedigree, help you make a decision that will be rewarding .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #46 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Length of coat has nothing to do with it. Even then, a dog can bring in tons of dirt in it's coat and drop that off along with the tumbleweeds of fur.

I can think of two high shedding dogs with extremely short coats right off the bat; Pugs and Boxers.
Add Labs to that I have a GSD (aka German Shedder) and 2 labs ( chew 'til they're two shed 'til they're dead) and I dry mop the hardwoods and vacuum the carpet daily and still find little hair bunny presents on a regular basis. Mind you, this is with 2x week brushing and monthly bathing and blow out/dry and a good diet.

If you don't like hair, don't get a dog because one way or another you will be dealing with it.
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Dogs that are more indoor and have long light hours , as you would in your house , tend to shed throughout the year loosing hair , not in a big massive seasonal type shed.
Our "house dogs" have always developed the thick wooly undercoats that need brushed out in the spring. They shed more lightly in the fall but there's still some.
I think it's daylight as much as temps?

Oh, Labs, yeah! And Bassets. Bassets, especially on a poor diet, shed gobs. But brushing helps tremendously to reduce that.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #48 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I once had a hairnado in my SUV when I opened the windows on a lovely day. Quickly rolled them up and turned on the AC.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

LOL at "hairnado", when Libby (my Collie) rides with us, we can't open the windows at ALL, either!
She sheds so much she's usually relegated to the canopy portion of the truck.
She has long fine guard hairs that stick like magnets to everything. She's the reason I've all but given up wearing fleece period; especially black fleece!!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #50 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I once had a hairnado in my SUV when I opened the windows on a lovely day. Quickly rolled them up and turned on the AC.
Too funny, LOL!!

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Zelda ~ 14 yo Italian Greyhound, puppymill rescue
Mimi ~ the meezer
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.