Is this the right puppy for us? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

I forgot to mention the gnawing on everrything! pups are teething from 8weeks and so on until they have their grown up teeth. I'm actually so happy we had got shadow before apollo, because he always gnaws on her and not on anywhere else!

if you dont want to go through that pup stage, just get an older more mature gsd! theres plenty you can rescue? kids will love a dog no matter what :P
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Both my gsds shed quite a bit. Zoey is blowing her coat, so it's even worse at the moment.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

German shepherds are BIG TIME shedders!! Especially when they are blowing their coat. I've heard that the long-haired GSDs shed less-can anyone verify??

If you really hate the shedding, I would narrow down the breeds that don't shed, then see how they are with kids.
Honestly though, most reputable breeders' puppies are spoken for before they are born, and would very likely be spoken for by now.

It usually takes people months to find a breeder...what about a rescue-maybe a slightly older dog that is known to be good with kids? Many rescues have known histories and may have come from loving homes with kids, who had to give the dog up for personal reasons.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thank you castlemaid for your advise, i really appreciate it. I appreciate how everyone is so helpful. I had an australian shepherd before so I know how herding dogs are. You are so right on the supervision then. I am going to have to look over the material you posted and see what I think. Thanks again for your help
trinity3623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity3623 View Post
You know Kelina. You are really selling me on the dog, lol. I really do love the breed. Its such a hard call. I instantly fell in love with the puppy. I just hope if i get her tht she wont shed that bad and if brushing will help with it
hehe, thats what im here for! I love the breed so much!

All it is is training trinity! If you know how to be firm and say NO when they do an oopsie or bite on shoes, or pens, or cans and bottles and things lol- then get a puppy

Honestly, honestly after 3 months, they don't chew THAT much.. well at least my baby girl didn't. I would say don't leave NOTHING on the floor because they tend to rip up everything.

the joy of any pup is so thrilling and wonderful.. its like an instant best friend!
if you need someone to cry to, they are there, someone to play with, they are there. Everyday is an adventure with a gsd -seriously!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

Well after all these wonderful post. I am going to think this over and make a choice. Kelina they sound like my kids, HAHA. I really can't believe how helpful everyone is. Thanks for all the replys.
trinity3623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I cannot imagine potty training two kids and a puppy at the same time. I mean what do you do first thing in the morning, take the puppy out, or put the 2 year old on the potty or the 1 year old on the potty? It sounds like an awful lot of running to the bathroom or to the outside. It sounds like being run off your feet.

My brother-in-law wants a dog, but his girls are almost three and 1.5. My sister says no way until the girls are potty trained.

Frankly, raising babies and puppies, well it is just great if you are familiar with owning the breed, but if this is your first puppy, the GSD might not be the best starter-dog. I mean, they can be quite bitey, and they can chew you out of house and home. Yes they do shed. They are smart, they can walk all over you if you let them. They are a breed that was bred for their ability to protect, to herd, and to guard. That means there is an element of prey-drive, aggression, and intelligence/independence bred into these dogs. They should be high energy and have high drive. This means a dog that had better have many outlets for its intelligence, energy, and drive.

With a bunch of kids, some of the babies, some school-aged, well, kids come first. Training and socializing the puppy might fall to the lower third of the list of things we have to do today, and well, if you have a bunch of kids it is even more important that the puppy be trained and socialized.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelina View Post
short haired-German shepherds DO NOT shed a lot!
What. You obviously haven't met Elisabeth's Zefra...

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
What. You obviously haven't met Elisabeth's Zefra...
hehehe!! you have not met my cousins dog, Dexter :P
Old 11-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

German Shepherds shed... A LOT. You really need to be diligent with the grooming and vacuuming if you don't want the dog hair to pile up. Puppy coats don't shed much, but once the adult coat comes in at around 6 months, all bets are off.

My perception, and I could be wrong, is you haven't done a lot of research yet and you're not sure what you're getting into just yet. German Shepherd puppies are a lot of work. They need constant supervision and will require a lot of your time and patience. Are you ready for all that in addition to your own young kids?

My advice is to hold off for a bit. There's no shortage on GSD puppies. Stick around and do a lot of reading. Ask questions when you've got some. Just take your time and try not to just jump into a 10+ year committment just yet.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.