Working line pups - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Working line pups

Hello all. I have been looking at some sable litters in the past weeks. Not sure exactly what i'm seeing as i had a saddled male for years and have been told that working line GSD's are totally different than what we have previously had. I was also told that they tend to have a bit more energy than what we have had. Can any of you please let me know what to look for in a working line pup?
Jefferson's_GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A good start would be to post potential pedigrees and let the experts analyze and give their input.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
x11
Banned

[QUOTE=Jefferson's_GSD;2636816]Hello all. I have been looking at some sable litters in the past weeks. Not sure exactly what i'm seeing as i had a saddled male for years and have been told that working line GSD's are totally different than what we have previously had. I was also told that they tend to have a bit more energy than what we have had. Can any of you please let me know what to look for in a working line pup?[/QUOTE]

working ability?
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson's_GSD View Post
Hello all. I have been looking at some sable litters in the past weeks. Not sure exactly what i'm seeing as i had a saddled male for years and have been told that working line GSD's are totally different than what we have previously had. I was also told that they tend to have a bit more energy than what we have had. Can any of you please let me know what to look for in a working line pup?
What kind of dog do you have now? ie, what are his bloodlines and what is his temperament/personality like? Just so I have something to compare with. Working line GSDs generally have more drive and energy than their show-bred counterparts, but this is not always so.

What are you looking for in a dog? What is your lifestyle and where does a dog fit into it?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

WL's can also have biddability, sound nerves, athletic structure and a strong work ethic. Whenever people think of WL's it seems they surmise that they are 'high energy' but fear it....most often that energy is channeled into an easier dog to train, because it loves to learn, work and enjoy life.
Not saying it isn't the same for the SL's but really, WL's aren't to be avoided because they have drive and energy. As long as there is an off switch, it's all good!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

My working line pup is so good at 4 months. Is she high energy? Yes. But she is such a good dog.
bigd3077 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
What kind of dog do you have now? ie, what are his bloodlines and what is his temperament/personality like? Just so I have something to compare with. Working line GSDs generally have more drive and energy than their show-bred counterparts, but this is not always so.

What are you looking for in a dog? What is your lifestyle and where does a dog fit into it?
I made a mistake and said I have a male but really have a female show line (blame it on a typo,lol ). she comes from Arminius lines. We live on a 60 acre property and generally live a active life
Old 11-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson's_GSD View Post
I made a mistake and said I have a male but really have a female show line (blame it on a typo,lol ). she comes from Arminius lines. We live on a 60 acre property and generally live a active life
Sounds good so far... are you interested in SchH or other dog sports? I assume you would want to train in basic obedience/household manners at least. I have found most working line GSDs very easy to train; their drive, desire and willingness to work makes it easy. They do tend to have a lot of energy but if you have 60 acres and the dog accompanies you on daily walks/hikes or what have you, there should be plenty of opportunity to burn that energy off. What interests you in a working line as opposed to another show line dog?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Are you looking for a pup or are you looking for a young adult?
Faust Cierna Vdova ZVV1, BH
NarysDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Never thought of an young adult before. I have never been into any type of sport, but our girl now 5 years old has been fully trained in obedience and I feel that the male that comes in our home be the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.