Getting an older puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
FJH

Default Getting an older puppy

Does anyone have any advice on whether to adopt a 15 week year old puppy vs. waiting for a subsequent litter? The breeder was planning on keeping the puppy and since we were looking specifically for a male after the recent passing of our beloved GSD...the breeder was open to us adopting him. I know that quite a bit of development happens between from the 8-15 weeks. Any opinions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
FJH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I got my first GSD at 16 weeks old and my second at 20 weeks old. Older puppies are fine if the breeder is doing something with them during that time. Do you know what, if any, kind of socialization the puppy has gotten? Is he housetrained, crate trained, or has he been living in a kennel outdoors? Has he had any basic OB training?

I prefer to do the training and socialization myself, but if it was a breeder I trusted, and I knew they were doing stuff with the puppy that would be okay too. We got Halo at 10 weeks old, just a couple of weeks past the usual 8, but the breeder had been taking her to training at her Schutzhund club, so she'd met tons of people, been passed around and doted on by kids, and was around lots of other dogs. If we had decided not to get her she was going to be sent home with someone else from the club for further socialization and a change of environment, which is not uncommon.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

If the breeder has worked with puppy you might be a couple of steps ahead (crate trained, house broken - for the most part) ... which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I got my last dog at 16 weeks of age, and it took 15 minutes to house break ... all she needed to know was where the front door was!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
I got my last dog at 16 weeks of age, and it took 15 minutes to house break ... all she needed to know was where the front door was!
Good point! Cassidy, who we got at 20 weeks old, was a cinch to housebreak because her bowel and bladder control was so much greater than a tiny puppy. We got her on a Saturday, and Monday she used the dog door from the garage pen to let herself out to the dog run to potty while we were gone. She'd never seen a dog door before, but we called her back and forth through it a few times over the weekend. Later, I taught her to ring bells on the door to the garage when she needed to go out. That took a day and a half.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJH View Post
Does anyone have any advice on whether to adopt a 15 week year old puppy vs. waiting for a subsequent litter? The breeder was planning on keeping the puppy and since we were looking specifically for a male after the recent passing of our beloved GSD...the breeder was open to us adopting him. I know that quite a bit of development happens between from the 8-15 weeks. Any opinions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I prefer older puppies, just wonder why the breeder is now willing to let him go if she was planning on keeping?
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I prefer older pups as long as the breeder did socialization. I don't care about any training, just that the puppy was socialized to different people, animals, sounds, walking surfaces etc.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
FJH

First of all, thanks for the responses so far. The puppy is currently being socialized, but I will definitely find out more. I'll be going to meet the breeder and the pup before making any decisions and this input has been helpful. I can still remember the sleepless weeks 9 years ago when we brought our GSD home since we wanted to make sure he was housebroken as soon as possible...so I can definitely see the benefits of having a puppy with a little more bladder control .
FJH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think I'm the odd man out on this one. I got mine at 13 weeks and she was pretty much outside with no socialization for the month prior to me getting her. I put her in school immediately and really worked hard to socialize her. She was a little difficult to potty train, but once she got it she got it. She has been completely out of her crate for about 7.5 months..she is now 14 months. She excels in everything that she does and is very confident. She also has an outstanding temperament. I think I worked harder because I was so afraid she would turn out not like she should.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Z was around 14-16 weeks when she came here; her breeder did an excellent job of raising her. No problems due to the delay. On the other hand, if she had spent that time in a kennel, I suspect the short-term outcome might have been different. As Cassidy's mom wrote, older pups are fine if the breeder is doing something with them.
JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I got my little demon spawn at 4 months of age and he was a kennel dog. He was worked every day, but didn't leave the property. He was very difficult to potty train as he had learned that he could just potty any time he had to go and didn't understand that didn't apply any more in the house. It also took some time to get him socialized properly.

Potty training and socialization would be my only concerns with an older pup. Check with the breeder about this and it may not be an issue.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.