Which is right for me? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 18
Default Which is right for me?

Hello, I am hoping to become a proud owner of my first GSD very soon! I have always wanted one and finally feel like I am in a position to get one. But before I pull the trigger I want to make sure I get a good puppy that will fit in with my household.

I am in Germany and have found two different breeders that currently have puppies not too far. The problem is I do not have a whole lot of experience picking puppies and I am unsure exactly what to look for. One of the breeders refers to his dogs as working dogs. Does this automatically mean high drive or hyper active? Can you tell what kind of dogs they are just based off the lines?

Thank you in advance!
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,928
Default

Key thing is for you and family to decide what you want in a GSD - temperament and what you want to do with the dog. Then and only then can a good breeder help you pick a pup that will be a good fit for you.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 18
Default

Thank you! I have spoken to several breeders but the language barrier makes it difficult to completely explain what I'm looking for. So far the most promising has been this breeder.
Deutsche Schaeferhundezucht aus Dresden vom Finkensteiner_Forst

If you click on the puppy link you can see the litter. Do you you think these wood be a semi laid back companion? I read somewhere that you can't expect any of the shutzhund dogs to do any guar work.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Thank you! I have spoken to several breeders but the language barrier makes it difficult to completely explain what I'm looking for. So far the most promising has been this breeder.
Deutsche Schaeferhundezucht aus Dresden vom Finkensteiner_Forst

If you click on the puppy link you can see the litter. Do you you think these wood be a semi laid back companion? I read somewhere that you can't expect any of the shutzhund dogs to do any guar work.

Why in the world would you even consider buying a puppy from a breeder (or anyone) that you cannot talk to and understand?

Why not a working line dog (if you decide that is the type that you want) from a good reputable American (or Canadien of course!) breeder whom you can explain exactly the type of puppy that you are looking for?

There are a number of great and most helpful breeders on this very forum whom I am sure would be more than ready to help you find a great fit in a puppy. Talk to them - ask for some help!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
Why in the world would you even consider buying a puppy from a breeder (or anyone) that you cannot talk to and understand?

Why not a working line dog (if you decide that is the type that you want) from a good reputable American (or Canadien of course!) breeder whom you can explain exactly the type of puppy that you are looking for?

There are a number of great and most helpful breeders on this very forum whom I am sure would be more than ready to help you find a great fit in a puppy. Talk to them - ask for some help!
I live in Germany. I do not live in the US. But sadly I do not speak German.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Candace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sydney NSW Autralia
Posts: 66
Default

Try www.vonarminius.com
I'm in Australia but my puppy to be sire is Sirio Vom Ruthal a German import with really great show lines. They have some great progeny


Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Candace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
I live in Germany. I do not live in the US. But sadly I do not speak German.

Missed that in your post! Sorry.

Are you staying in Germany for a while? if so, is there anyone who can act as a translator?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ontario -
Posts: 9,250
Default

there are many, many German breeders and German people that are quite fluent in English .
I had great experience with Michael, son of Werner, of Parchimer Land . I got a male Como, and female Chiba , exactly as described - excellent temperament , health, constitution, conformation . Arrived from Frankfurt after a long flight and a hold-over in perfect condition , dry and clean and energetic and happy to see "you" attitude , did not skip a beat ! Communication was easy -- East German Kennel
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum