Choosing the right temperament - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

The breeder should know their dogs and what they produce. My breeder had a VERY long discussion with me about what I wanted in a dog, and what she expected her pups to be. I got what I asked for. If a breeder doesn't have this discussion with you, and can't talk about what their dogs produce as well as how they match up pedigrees for their outcome, then you need to pass. Just breeding two titled dogs together doesn't mean you're going to come out with good pups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Sorry, Gryff's not for sale!
Interesting pedigree on your boy... No Fero?

Would you say that his temperament is what you'd expect from such a pedigree?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I'm not a scholar of bloodlines - the question would have to go to the breeders, or to Cliff, who is very familiar with those bloodlines (and I believe helped Chris and Tim choose Gryff's sire for what Wildhaus was looking to produce).

The Czech lines were brought in to even out sharpness and lower threshhold, and bring more serious defense into the dog (I hope I'm correct on that) - all of which succeeded. Very controlled prey drive - helpers always comment on how fast he comes in, and how hard he bites, but I have no issues having him off leash and calling him off a bolting rabbit, for example. Very sweet and paternal with my cats - ignores other dogs, very sensitive to me - a bit too sensitive to the handler, seems to be a trait among the litter. Very concerned about being "good", and he worries if he thinks I am displeased with him.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
The Czech lines were brought in to even out sharpness and lower threshhold, and bring more serious defense into the dog (I hope I'm correct on that)
I'm a bit confused--by "even out", do you mean the Czech lines have more or less sharpness? Higher or lower thresholds? And what in the dam line needed to be balanced, besides more serious defense?

Quote:
a bit too sensitive to the handler, seems to be a trait among the litter. Very concerned about being "good", and he worries if he thinks I am displeased with him.
That's a trait that doesn't bother me much. My Luka is that way, as was Justice. Teaching a forced retrieve with her was somewhat traumatic.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks all. I will be going to choose my puppy in 2 weeks and get him on the 20th. He has show lines and the breeder has a good reputation and has a lot to do in the nsw GSD club.
I have had a few conversations about temperament and he will help me choose. (though he is a typical Aussie man of few words lol) Whilst not my first dog this will be my first obedience/ sport dog I'll have since a child.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Candace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.