Puppy got stepped on....how bad is it???? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy got stepped on....how bad is it????

Just got off the phone with the GSD breeder with whom we are purchasing a puppy. We pick up the 10 week old puppy on Wednesday, Nov. 14. I am worried because the breeder told me that her 6'5 husband accidentally stepped on "our" puppy with his work boots on. And, now, our puppy is acting very reserved, non-playful, and very skiddish. Breeder said the pup does not play with her siblings, just runs and hides. Poor thing.

Should I be concerned about behavior issues and/or health issues popping up with this puppy? Should I insist she get checked out by a vet before we pick her up? The breeder told me that if we decide we do not want her, we can choose another puppy from the same litter. Poor little baby...how can someone be so lame to step on a pup!!!!

Also, when we go pick her up, are there things I should notice about her to make sure she is ok???

Thanks for your replies!!!
GSDcalab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ask for a vet check. They should be getting a vet clearance before you go to pick the puppies up anyway, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Last edited by hchorney1; 11-11-2012 at 03:45 PM.
hchorney1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Did they take the pup to the vet to be certain she isn't injured? I don't know if I'd want a pup that is acting reserved, skittish or runs and hides....and if getting stepped on is the reason, the breeder should hold on to this pup regardless.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

We rescued a pup a while back who got stepped on at 8-9 weeks and it broke his femur. They need to get that puppy to the vet.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

poor puppy! I hope it's okay!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Skylar ~ Aussie d.o.b. 11/7/10
Tucker ~ Yellow Lab d.o.b. 8/9/11
Hopeful Future GSD Owner
sassynsweet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Did they take the pup to the vet to be certain she isn't injured? I don't know if I'd want a pup that is acting reserved, skittish or runs and hides....and if getting stepped on is the reason, the breeder should hold on to this pup regardless.
I agree.

Plus, it says something about the pup's native temperament if she's acting skittish, running away and hiding. Some pups get stepped on, and they'll yelp and carry on for a moment, then bounce right back and go back to running around playing, no loss of confidence or attitude.

Granted, being stepped on HURTS and if the pup has had a total change of behavior, she may have hidden injuries--she needs to go to the vet for an x-ray. The breeder should not be selling this pup until she recovers, and I personally would not buy this pup even if (especially if) the vet cannot find any injuries.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Totally agree with freestep.

In regards to your comment about how lame can a person be to step on a puppy - especially given that they have a litter of them, accidents happen. Puppies get underfoot and if he tried to miss one and lost his balance, etc ....crap happens. I'm sure he feels terrible about it.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you so much everyone for your advice. I REALLY appreciate it! I phoned the breeder back and she did not take the pup to the vet. She said that she "thinks" her husband just stepped on one of the pups paws and that the pup is walking fine. She was not actually there when it all happened just that she can tell from the personality change. I am very cautious about this whole situation but the breeder seems to think it is no big deal and that the pup will snap out of it. My two former GSD's came from this breeder and I absolutely loved both of my dogs. They were perfect!!! So, I am thinking I will just show up at the breeder's house on Wednesday and see how this little girl reacts to me. I feel so bad for the pup. Let's just hope and pray the pup is ok.

A little off the topic.....this forum has some special healing powers because you guys provided comfort to me recently when Callie, my GSD, died on Aug. 8. I went through every emotion possible but basically I was just so sad and heart broken. I still miss her deeply......and never thought I could have another dog because of the immense pain when they leave us. But, then I thought about how much I love having one and no matter how painful it is when the time comes and they leave us, I would rather share my life with such a special animal. Anyway, thanks.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

You are right, Rerun, accidents happen. I probably should have calmed down before I posted my thread....I was upset because I felt bad that she got stepped on and it probably didn't tickle.

I am not sure if the breeder's husband feels bad...I hope he does and is more careful next time.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

No no no. The breeder NEEDS to have the puppy seen.
If a growth plate was snapped, the puppy could suffer from a lifelong deformity. The only way to tell is an x-ray and exam.

I'm more concerned about the breeder not seeing why the puppy needs to go to the vet.
Many dogs WILL run and hide when they are hurting or injured, so to avoid being injured again or having the injured part stepped on again.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.