Your thoughts on adding a 2nd GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Your thoughts on adding a 2nd GSD

Hello, We have a 9 year old female GSD dog that we love. We are thinking about getting a puppy and were wondering if there are opinions of the new dog being male or female. Also our current dog is getting up there in age and her back legs are starting to get a little stiff on certain days. Overall she's still very active, but would it be bad for a new puppy/dog to be running with her and potentially playing hard in her older years? I know with past dogs a new puppy has been a great thing, but this is our first GSD so wanted some of your opinions. Any other info is also appreciated.
MN GSD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Definitely get a male and make sure he doesn't pester the senior. Lavish attention on her and make sure she knows she comes first.

Welcome and the best of luck to you. Would love to see pics of your girl!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

or you could get an adult dog that is past the annoying puppy stage , one that is set in temperment and would make a good companion for your older girl..
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

All I can say is this website advised me away from getting two females. I got a puppy when my old guy was 14. He couldn't tolerate the puppy at all so I had to keep them separate. I think yours is young enough to take a lot more. Just like the above post said, monitor and lavish the older one a lot of love. And welcome. You are going to love this website. LOTS of smart people and info here.

Last edited by Nikitta; 11-10-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I usually like to point out to people that adding a second dog, in my experience, has been more than double the work. I have two dogs and it's been tough on me. I can't walk them together, let them out together, train them together etc plus I've to worry about resource guarding between them. If you're experienced in taking care of more than one dog at a time, I'd definitely say go for it! But if it's your first time taking care of two, I'd take precaution. I'd see how a foster does in your home and go from there (possibly foster fail the new dog! ). And I agree puppydom on an older dog can be petty harsh. Just my two cents... good luck to you!
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

As long as you've trained/socialized your current dog so know she'll do well with other dogs.....then I say you will do great with a puppy or older friendly pup. Advantage of having the older dog is you know all the great work you've done to make them great and ease to integrate a new pup. Best to get a male but more important is to do all the research to find a 'responsible' breeder to make sure you get the healthiest and best temperament in the new addition to your home.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN GSD Fan View Post
Hello, We have a 9 year old female GSD dog that we love. We are thinking about getting a puppy and were wondering if there are opinions of the new dog being male or female. Also our current dog is getting up there in age and her back legs are starting to get a little stiff on certain days. Overall she's still very active, but would it be bad for a new puppy/dog to be running with her and potentially playing hard in her older years? I know with past dogs a new puppy has been a great thing, but this is our first GSD so wanted some of your opinions. Any other info is also appreciated.
Last year I added a puppy with our then 9 year old senior. The biggest advise I have to give is to let your old girl choose who she wants as a companion. We thought Buddy would like an older female for a friend so we started searching rescues. Turns out after many introductions... He chose a male 5 month old puppy. They are best of friends.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the responses. We introduced our current GSD as a puppy when we had a 10 year old Golden Retriever and they became best buddies as well. We are hoping adding a GSD puppy to our current dog would bring the same results with proper training/introduction. Any other input or experiences is much appreciated.
MN GSD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

puppy should be fine.

Most older dogs give a 'puppy license' to little one. Sometime a puppy breathes new life in an older dog.

I would get a 8or 9 week female.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyppi View Post
puppy should be fine.

Most older dogs give a 'puppy license' to little one. Sometime a puppy breathes new life in an older dog.

I would get a 8or 9 week female.
May I ask why you would advise getting a female?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.