Puppy Pricing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy Pricing

Hello, my fiance and I are looking for a GSD puppy to add to our home. It is just us and our current 9 year old female GSD. Like most people we want a beautiful, healthy, confident, and well tempered GSD. We went to a breeder today and they were pushing us towards $5000 dogs which were beautiful dogs, but more than we wanted to spend for a family dog. What can we expect to pay for a GSD puppy? We were hoping to find dogs under $2000 if possible....are we still able to get a high quality dog in this price range? We will not be showing or breeding these dogs...just want a good puppy for us to enjoy as part of the family. Thanks for you help.
MN GSD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

For a puppy you can find awesome choices for under $2000. Especially if you are looking at working lines. Show lines might be a little more. Now if you want a finished adult dog, then you can expect to pay more. I say keep looking, especially if they were trying to "push" you towards any particular dog. Good breeders often sell out their litters very fast and will not "push" you into buying anything.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've seen a lot of working line pups for under $1200-1600 who are top quality and come from AMAZING breeders! I've also seen a couple of showline pups from good breeders for $1300-2000, depending on the quality of the pup (pet, show, sport). Most showline dogs I've seen have been more in the $2500-4500 range though, depending on pedigree, quality, the breeder, if they're older and trained, etc.

I agree with Rob. A good breeder won't be pushy about getting you to buy. They are fully confident in their dogs and will even point you in the direction of other breeders if they feel that the other person would have a dog more suiting to you. (:
Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

OMG! Run!
There are a lot of good reputable breeders , that have great dogs, for much less. ( Some are on this on this site). If you want references, say so. We will all pitch in and PM you with great breeders for you to talk to.

They also have beautiful dogs and can match with you with a dog that fits your needs...and price range.
Kat

Last edited by KatsMuse; 11-09-2012 at 10:30 PM.
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

$5000 is just absurd for an untrained 8 week old puppy. There's plenty out there between $1000-$2000.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

The going rate in my area is $1200-$2200 for a working line pup and about $1500-$2500 for a Showline pup. I'm talking about breeders that I am knowledgeable about and would recommend to someone.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

You defintely can get a quality pet for under $2,000 from a reputable breeder. Stay away from those $5,000 puppies. Where are you located? I belong to the parent club; perhaps I can steer you to a good breeder.
DJ15026 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't like the phrase "pet quality" as it has undertones of "lesser quality".....

that being said - many breeders price all pups the same.....the potential is there and it is up to the owner to make of the pup what they want!!! Good reputable breeders still have pups available for $1500-$2000 from titled parents, with good credentials and production records! I have seen some working line pups at $2500 with no better credentials, but these are more commercial breeders who just import females with litters in utereo....and have revolving doors.....

Find a breeder who treats you as an intelligent person, who knows their own dogs as individuals - not as a recitation of the dog's ancestor's accomplishments, and who is not a big business.

Good luck!

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I got my border collie for 200 pounds and he's very healthy and well... Here in UK you can find a great GSD puppy for about 500, I dunno where you live though.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy2662 View Post
I got my border collie for 200 pounds and he's very healthy and well... Here in UK you can find a great GSD puppy for about 500, I dunno where you live though.
Speedy, prices for puppies of any breed are much more reasonable in the UK and Europe. I don't know why American breeders charge such crazy prices. Maybe vet care is cheaper in Europe, but I doubt it. Maybe American breeders just charge so much because they can.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.