Czech work line - energy level - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Czech work line - energy level

How high of an energy level can I come to expect from my puppy? He's 3.5 months old now (and about 42 pounds). I hear they have higher energy levels than other work lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You'll need to provide a pedigree for anyone to be able to tell you that, and even then it's relatively subjective. There are some very experienced folks here that could decipher a pedigree for you though.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

How high is his energy level now? I got my guy over a month ago, and on Friday (for the first time EVER) saw him sleep for a couple minutes. Before and since, I've never even seen him close his eyes.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Both of mine are Czech. Leyna has a higher drive than Hades and just recently after she turned 2 did she start actually calming and coming into her own. She is extremely pigheaded and independent and would like to do things she wanted to do. This is changing quite a bit as she matures and she is trying hard to please me now. She is also finally sleeping at night. Before she would sleep an hour or two but that was it.

Hades on the other hand is much more calm and settles much faster. He will be 6 months on the 9th. He wants to please constantly. He does get the overexcited puppy thing going at times, but for the most part he is very biddable to what I ask. He is food and toy driven, but will work just as much for a "good boy" and pat. He loves his sleep and does not like to be awakened.

It all depends on the lines and the pedigree and what it brings forward. That being said, Hades and Grim (Jag's pup) are first cousins and have almost identical pedigrees, but are completely different in actions.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkhoury View Post
How high of an energy level can I come to expect from my puppy? He's 3.5 months old now (and about 42 pounds). I hear they have higher energy levels than other work lines.
My Zefra is 18 months old and is only 1/2 Czech in her pedigree but temperament, drive, thresholds, personality... all Czech. I have been told my some very well known Czech breeders who have watched her work (we do schH and agility) that in her work, you wouldn't know she wasn't fully Czech... lol.

Zefra is a HIGH HIGH energy, HIGH drive female with low-medium thresholds. She also has superb nerve and as she matures, she is able to cap (just a tad!) that with consistent training/corrections/redirection.

One thing to note is that this dog is EXTREMELY biddable and has IMPECCABLE focus - always has. She is also very versitile and can do anything I ask - and does it well! She is pretty much my dream dog.

She does have her issues, she is pretty sharp and if in protection, can be handler hard as well. She is also super friendly to a fault...lol. She acts more like a golden with people on the street and especially kids (I like it though). But she is a jumper and it's not something I have been able to correct (trust me, we have tried).

She is also SUPER quick and extremely agile.

She is worked everyday in some capacity, but we regularly train (Schutzhund) twice per week. This helps, but she is still unable to really settle in the house. Her 'settle' is laying with a ball chewing, or grabbing an antler or something), she has to be "doing something" while "relaxing".

I personally LOVE this about them, and am looking for my next working partner to be a full Czech dog. I just seem to be drawn to that line.

I don't expect Zefra to really change in regards to her energy or working ability until she physically can't do those things anymore.. lol.

This is my 1/2 Czech female:

Last edited by elisabeth_00117; 11-05-2012 at 07:17 PM.
elisabeth_00117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggirl47 View Post
Both of mine are Czech. Leyna has a higher drive than Hades and just recently after she turned 2 did she start actually calming and coming into her own. She is extremely pigheaded and independent and would like to do things she wanted to do. This is changing quite a bit as she matures and she is trying hard to please me now. She is also finally sleeping at night. Before she would sleep an hour or two but that was it.
That sounds like Max. He is bonding with me, but he seems to want to do his own thing often times. We're going to start training this Saturday at a K9 Police academy (that has really cheap training costs and is highly recommended by friends), so I'm hoping that will mold him better.
Quote:

Hades on the other hand is much more calm and settles much faster. He will be 6 months on the 9th. He wants to please constantly. He does get the overexcited puppy thing going at times, but for the most part he is very biddable to what I ask. He is food and toy driven, but will work just as much for a "good boy" and pat. He loves his sleep and does not like to be awakened.

It all depends on the lines and the pedigree and what it brings forward. That being said, Hades and Grim (Jag's pup) are first cousins and have almost identical pedigrees, but are completely different in actions.
I wish I knew an exact pedigree, but I think that's difficult in my case.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
x11
Banned

interesting stuff, i have been led to believe that the high energy dogs are the wgwl which has had more selection for sport. the east stuff i thought was selected for more working roles and had more defence less prey based???

on other forums some competitors write the east stuff off as "lacking work ethic" for high level sport???

the phrase "mallinisation" of the gsd enetred the vocabulary due to the demand from sport to have stupid levels of prey bred into the mainly the west dogs.

now i'm confused???

will say some breedrs i respect have the postion that east/west/czech/ddr etc are just words now due to all the outcrossing occurring for generations? claims it is just pure marketting in the majority of cases???

i KNOW that stereotyping lines is not very fruitful at best, considering the educated buyers/breeders look for the variation in a single litter eg from same litter you will get pet/ring type/sch type etc/service type....to varying degrees, so to speak of a whole line as......????
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

There are still pure Czech line dogs out there. There aren't many breeders that have them in the US, but there are some. My dog's pedigree isn't just 'marketing'. He's pure Czech lines, as are some others here. The current thinking seems to be mixing Czech with WGWL. However, I'd not say that a Czech dog isn't a utility dog. Maybe more serious in some cases, but still able to do anything out there.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Too much variance--you'll know more about your puppy's adult energy and activity levels by looking at his current energy and activity levels. As a puppy, he will go for shorter periods, have less focus, and less stamina--but other elements usually remain very similar.

And remember that energy and activity and drive are not the same, nor are they always correlated.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackthornGSD View Post
Too much variance--you'll know more about your puppy's adult energy and activity levels by looking at his current energy and activity levels. As a puppy, he will go for shorter periods, have less focus, and less stamina--but other elements usually remain very similar.

And remember that energy and activity and drive are not the same, nor are they always correlated.

an area i am starting to self realise having different breeds together - could you please expand on this line of thought please, sorry op if off topic.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.