Last pick of the litter... Good? Bad? Doesn't matter? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No Marshies....you did not get "last pick"....Amaretto was MY "first pick", and Carlos chose Anisette because of her *crazy drives*.
Amaretto was "last" with us, because I was in no rush to actually sell her......and if you remember....I told you, if you decided to NOT want her after all...I would exchange her and probably keep her for myself.
YOU happened to get the "last puppy" from the litter...but MY "first pick female". LOL

Many times...the "last puppy" is simply "last" because the proper owner has not yet presented themselves...OR...as with (us).....many times it is one of the puppies that *we* are holding back for ourselves, and we must make final decisions.......which can and does mean, more times than not....a very "special" puppy from the litter.
Do not ever confuse the word "last" with "least".....you can be very wrong.
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master Member

Cody was the last pup left and he was my heart and soul! We have always had male dogs,have read they are more laid back than females, we love our boys!
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wolfie was sort of the last one left. He was the first one to go home, and his new owner brought him back 5 days later because he couldn't take care of him properly. He was still there at the breeders house at 12 weeks old, and I always felt that he was waiting there for me : ) He is an absolute gem!
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #34 (permalink)
Elite Member

We have had middle pick, first pick and Nita was the last puppy. We have been lucky with all three of our dogs and they are all great for our family

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
gmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think every breeder determines which pup goes where differently. I have had the breeder pick for me and it has always been the perfect puppy. I picked last time and she is the perfect puppy for me.

I got Lydi from a breeder than lets the buyer pick the pup based on order of reciept of the deposit. She assess the puppies and helps the buyer chose the pup best suited to them. The breeder is also my friend and training partner.

A litter just went home this past week and the first deposit was made by a repeat buyer from out of town that wanted a pup suitable for therapy work. There were 2 pups the breeder thought would fit that role, so the buyer was encouraged to pick from those two puppies. Another client was thrilled at that. As they live locally they were able to come out and visit the pups and they fell in love with one of the pups that would have made a good therapy dog. The first person chose the other pup and both buyers are happy as can be. Another buyer had third pick of the 3 remaining females. With breeders guidance she chose purple collar girl who was the quietest and most mellow of the pups. The buyer was a widowed lady in her 50's buying a GSD for the first time. She too is happy with how her choice worked out.

There is still one female pup left of the 5 females and 2 males. It turns out I think the female left is the nicest pup from the litter. Breeder thinks so too and is considering keeping her if the right home does not come along.

So last pick is sometimes best pic. And with all the pups and personalities of the pups I think it tends to work out the way it should work out.

I have had males and females and I have never thought I needed any extra info about raising a male. They may be a tad more territorial but even that has not really been my experience. I raise them the same as I have raised females..

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
UAG1,UNN1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UAG1,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,NAJ,RN,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Onyx was the last female to be placed. She was a dominant pup with no off switch and the breeder wanted her to be placed carefully. Even though she was the one everyone seemed to want because of her outgoing puppy personality.

We ended up with her, and her dominant personality and no off switch is a temperament issue. She was an insecure bully and has anxious tendencies.

She's been a *fun* dog to manage and I am glad I ended up with her instead of someone who didn't want to deal with her quirks. She probably would have been returned to the breeder....though with maturity she has become a pretty good dog with more confidence and now can settle easily.
But sadly I can't do what I would have liked with her as far as different sports...she is just too reactive.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #37 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
No Marshies....you did not get "last pick"....Amaretto was MY "first pick", and Carlos chose Anisette because of her *crazy drives*.
Amaretto was "last" with us, because I was in no rush to actually sell her......and if you remember....I told you, if you decided to NOT want her after all...I would exchange her and probably keep her for myself.
YOU happened to get the "last puppy" from the litter...but MY "first pick female". LOL

Many times...the "last puppy" is simply "last" because the proper owner has not yet presented themselves...OR...as with (us).....many times it is one of the puppies that *we* are holding back for ourselves, and we must make final decisions.......which can and does mean, more times than not....a very "special" puppy from the litter.
Do not ever confuse the word "last" with "least".....you can be very wrong.
That was what I was trying to say with the brackets. It didn't matter to ME which pup she was, because she is perfect with me. At least with good breeders, the order they leave shouldn't matter, which is the case with you guys.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #38 (permalink)

If the last one left of a litter seems like s/he has a temperament that suits you and the dog is healthy, well, that dog might have been the FIRST pick if you'd gotten there sooner!
Muneraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #39 (permalink)

One thing to keep in mind is that since it was a litter of only five pups, then all of them always had a seat at the table whenever they wanted. So none of them are likely to be suffering any ill effects from being pushed aside at dinnertime by bigger, more aggressive litter mates.

Ranger came from a litter of five, and I actually got first pick, and got to pick myself. Something of a dream situation... but we wanted a male, and there were only two males, plus, the entire litter -- males and females -- looked and acted identically to one another. So we wound up basically flipping a coin.

And whoever got the last pick out of that litter got one fine dog.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #40 (permalink)

Our guy was the last of his litter. He was 10 weeks when we brought him home and I always think that he was the lucky one to have a couple of extra weeks with mom. ; ) He's the perfect dog for us.
lisab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.