Temperament Test - 3's? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

1s and 2s! Grim sounds like my kind of dog lol. Curious though as I have never preformed the test in the umbrella portion what if the dog initially ran then turned around and came to investigate. Is it the immidiate response that is judged or the final outcome. As in startled ran then came back to mouth the umbrella is that a 1 or 6. Just wondering.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Thank you, Chris! What method of 'testing' do you use? When I went through this 3's test, Grim scored mainly 1's with some 2's. It seems fairly accurate description wise of him, but I wondered if this really was a true picture and if breeders actually use it.
I'm not sure if you can do this test yourself. And it might be too late to do it to an older pup. You're also biased as this is your dog, you've seen him react to things for a while now and you have "expectations." This test really needs to be done by someone that has had a lot of experience with a variety of puppies, someone new/strange to the dog, and I'm pretty sure at a younger age.

This is a test that needs to be done when you first meet the dog...you have already had way too much experience with the dog in order to give a non-biased evaluation and also seeing him grow you forget how he would've actually responded to such testing when he was 8 weeks old and seeing these types of situations for the first time. You don't know how much of his reaction is natural and how much of it is the training you have done.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
I'm not sure if you can do this test yourself. And it might be too late to do it to an older pup. You're also biased as this is your dog, you've seen him react to things for a while now and you have "expectations." This test really needs to be done by someone that has had a lot of experience with a variety of puppies, someone new/strange to the dog, and I'm pretty sure at a younger age.

This is a test that needs to be done when you first meet the dog...you have already had way too much experience with the dog in order to give a non-biased evaluation and also seeing him grow you forget how he would've actually responded to such testing when he was 8 weeks old and seeing these types of situations for the first time. You don't know how much of his reaction is natural and how much of it is the training you have done.
I'd agree.. but most of this was actually observed when I first brought him home.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Don't worry about it. My Sting would have tested exactly the same way. He turned out to be a bold confident friendly GSD but formidable if need be - no aggression or fear issues. Relax and enjoy Grim.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thank you all for your responses and input! We're anxious to get our little guy home!

Andrea
MIShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

This is a really good thread! I have a number 2, and we are working with her and she will become a working dog.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

I've had 2 New Skete Dogs,both tested all 3s and both are completely different temperaments.
lrodptl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

wouldn't use it , would not ask a breeder to test their dogs using it , would not allow a prospective buyer to test using it.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

For those breeders who don't use or don't believe in the Volhard test what test do you use if any to evalute the pup in order to place him/her with the right owner?
GSD13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Most breeders I know use tests that they have learned from other successful breeders, often with their own tweaks added over the years. This is what we do.

As far as 'prepackaged', I think the PAWS test is a far superior one to the Volhard, particularly for working breeds like GSDs. Sheila Booth's puppy test is also excellent. Bernhardt Flinks' is very good too.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.