Male or female? Are males really less protective? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #31 (permalink)

We adopted a 4 year old female last year, and she hasn't left my side since I brought her home. She is goofy, loving, and a bit aloof around people she doesn't know. She lays behind the rocking chair in the nursery when I'm rocking my son to sleep. She lays beside the recliner if I am on the computer, and gets up to lay beside the couch if I move there. DHS lays outside the bathroom and whines at the door. I can't go anywhere without tripping over her. Love my sweet girl.

Moxy - GSD 6 yo (rescue)
Crow - Bassett fauve de Bretange 4 yo (adopted)
Mew - Maine Coon mix 6 yo (adopted)
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #32 (permalink)

I have always found our males to be much more cruisy and my females a lot more intense and head strong compared to the boys.
All my females have ended up being boss dog.
My breeder did say that it's common for the females to bond more closely with the men of the house and male dogs to be more attached to me. Which I have found to be the case. Except for my husky who's a daddy's boy. I think in the end it's between the dog and handler and how each personality meshes.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Candace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #33 (permalink)

I guess I'll have to go against what most people have responded to this thread. I have a female GSD and she is my wife's dog. No questions asked. She is also very protective of the family but especially my wife. Not sure what others mean when they say males are more velcroie but my female goes where my wife goes. If you ask me a female GSD could be the best friend youíre looking for. I will admit that Iím bias towards females and I also donít have to photo shop the red rocket out of all my pictures.
Curious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #34 (permalink)

HI, i agree to the point that female GSD are more close to male owner while male GSD to the female owner. my vote is for a male GSD.
rosaclinic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

It's an individual dog issue - not a gender issue!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 01:30 AM   #36 (permalink)

If I had a six or seven yr. old bossy female beagle, would it probaly be best to get a male?
IWantKaiMarie6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
It's an individual dog issue - not a gender issue!
Exactly. I've never had a problem with a female bonding to me over my husband. I prefer females, and have had both. Females mature quicker, and are very protective. Not much gets by them
DollBaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master Member

Ive noticed Abbi seems very protective around young children. When I take her to my parents house there are two little girls from down the street that play with my younger brother. Abbi has taken to them (and other kids) very quickly and can often be found very very close to them, especially when they are outside. If the girls are on the grass shes right next to them. If she isnt and notices someone walking down the street she will walk up and lay in front of them. Its a pretty impressive image seeing her laying next to a car seat with an infant in it for a 3 year old as a motherly looking figure.
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #39 (permalink)

My female is very velcroey with strong pack drive. No i dependence with her! Also, nobody can come near our front door without her knowing and letting them know she is there. She hasn't had to protect me, so don't know about that. I suspect in the house, maybe; outside, she would likely turn tail and run. She's very dog reactive, peoe, not so much. Although her presence one keeps peie on their toes.

Never had male shepherd, but other breeds that were male. She seems a little more dominant and demanding than my other dogs.

I like both sexes, although I like the looks of the male. This was my first feme in many years, i forgot how spunky they are, but because of the way she is with other dogs, I'd likely get a male if I added another one.
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #40 (permalink)

We have a female pup now, and we will never have another one. Wish we had got a male. Attitude, bonding, loyalty is just not like with a male. Wife thought a female would be "sweeter". I agree that she is not aggressive to strangers, but that does not mean she is sweeter. She is just too self centered to care about strangers or protecting the family.
Jrnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.