GSD Puppies!! - Page 14 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #131 (permalink)

In the end the choice is yours!!

But a 350$ Dog now that you love, if it gets sick later due to poor breeding will cost you infinitely more in $$ and emotional pain.

I hope you find a great puppy and a great dog who is healthy and happy! It can be done!!

I took a different route I put $ a way for 2 years to get the 1200 I needed for a pup from a breeder I just adore.
TrentL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #132 (permalink)
lrt

Default young puppies in MO

Can someone tell me where to report someone selling puppies too young? I just bought a German shepherd puppy Monday from a woman near Lowry City, MO. Her ad said they were seven weeks, but when I called she said they were ready to go so I just assumed they were now eight. I asked her date of birth because I'm a dork and have dog birthday parties and she said October 29th. It didn't click until I was back home and looked at a calendar that the poor thing was only five weeks! I love her and don't want to take her back but I'm very worried she'll be stressed and sick. She definitely acts very, very young. Is there somewhere to report this? It's just mean to separate them from their mommies that little.
lrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #133 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentL View Post
In the end the choice is yours!!

But a 350$ Dog now that you love, if it gets sick later due to poor breeding will cost you infinitely more in $$ and emotional pain.

I hope you find a great puppy and a great dog who is healthy and happy! It can be done!!

I took a different route I put $ a way for 2 years to get the 1200 I needed for a pup from a breeder I just adore.

But let us not assume that buying a puppy from a well known breeder will insulate one from medical problem - NOT TRUE!

Our current dog has had by far the most medical issues of any of the number of GSD's that we have owned over the last 40 years (some BYB, some working and acouple also from well known show kennels!). They can happen from anywhere. (BTW - the type of medical problem may well vary however!)
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #134 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt View Post
Can someone tell me where to report someone selling puppies too young? I just bought a German shepherd puppy Monday from a woman near Lowry City, MO. Her ad said they were seven weeks, but when I called she said they were ready to go so I just assumed they were now eight. I asked her date of birth because I'm a dork and have dog birthday parties and she said October 29th. It didn't click until I was back home and looked at a calendar that the poor thing was only five weeks! I love her and don't want to take her back but I'm very worried she'll be stressed and sick. She definitely acts very, very young. Is there somewhere to report this? It's just mean to separate them from their mommies that little.
Usually when dealing with livestock (and that's what dog selling usually falls under) you contact the Dept of Agriculture. Another place might be the local animal control/SPCA.
angelas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #135 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt View Post
Here's a chart by state - Missouri does have a law against selling puppies younger than 8 weeks old: Age to Sell Puppy Table
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #136 (permalink)

wow just got to the end of this thread.... did she get the puppy or not?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #137 (permalink)

I believe the OP did end up getting the pup, but not until 8 weeks old.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...es-indeed.html
sddeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #138 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
Just to let you know, 8 weeks is not the average...it is the law in most states. Letting puppies go earlier than that leads to socialization issues and other problems. But I'll let the experts chime in with all the side effects...

I would not get a puppy from this breeder if they are doing that. I don't know a single breeder on this page that would do that, unless the dam died or some other disaster.
It's only the law in 18 states (could be 21, haven't counted in a while). I hardly call that MOST

As far as separating early, I know MANY breeders that separate around 5-6 weeks, and honestly I completely agree with their reasoning. As far as sending HOME that young, the breeders I know that do separate still won't send home until 8 weeks simply to monitor puppies, make sure no health issues (hypoglycemia with a young pup), unless they KNOW the person.

I have a good friend that breeds, I was going to take one of his pups home at 6.5 weeks but decided his lines weren't the temperament I was looking for (super drivey czechs, no thank you haha)

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #139 (permalink)
Elite Member

Of course, what I just posted could be considered a dangerous post as well. Everyone is right, the average person SHOULDN'T take home a 6 week old puppy, and the average breeder probably SHOULDN'T be separating at 6 weeks. I do agree with everyone, in THIS situation it sounds like a very shady breeder and just shady dealings in general.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #140 (permalink)
Master Member

those pups are cute, but what if the pup you get washes out as a SCH prospect? will you keep the dog for its life or return the dog to the breeder or rehome the dog?
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.