New Here- Looking for a Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

New Here- Looking for a Puppy

I am a new member to this forum. It looks like a really great resource! Anyways, I have finally decided to get a German Shepherd. I think I want a female puppy that is brown and black in color. I live in Massachusetts and would like to find one in the state or in a state nearby. I really don't want to spend too much money. My question is how do I go about finding one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 07:48 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

GSD's are not the easiest dogs. I know I love mine but was shocked how much training and socialization the breed needs to be a wonderful pet.

Dog Owner's Guide Profile : The German Shepherd

10 Reasons You Do NOT Want a German Shepherd Dog

German Shepherd Dog Shopper's Guide

Then figuring out the particular 'flavor' of GSD I prefer. American showlines, East German, West German showline, West German working line, Chek, herding lines, Schutzund, white, panda, ????????????

Breed Types & Related Families

STRENGTHS & WEAKNESSES

Then there's finding a 'responsible' breeder!

Dog Play: Making a Difference: Being a Responsible Dog Breeder

What is a Breeder

That said, we love our dogs, just know how much 'work' it is to get the best dogs from the best people! Good luck!

MACH3 Bretta Lee Wildhaus MXG MJG MXF MFB TQX HIT CGC TC
Glory B Wildhaus AX, AXJ, XF
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
GSD's are not the easiest dogs. I know I love mine but was shocked how much training and socialization the breed needs to be a wonderful pet.

Then figuring out the particular 'flavor' of GSD I prefer. American showlines, East German, West German showline, West German working line, Chek, herding lines, Schutzund, white, panda, ????????????

STRENGTHS & WEAKNESSES

What is a Breeder

That said, we love our dogs, just know how much 'work' it is to get the best dogs from the best people! Good luck!
This will be my first dog but my dad has had three or four throughout his life. How much should I expect to pay from a breeder (any particular ones you recommend)? How can I find some relatively local ones?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

The price of a puppy can vary greatly. If they're from a backyard breeder, you could spend as little as $200, maybe less. From a reputable breeder, however, you can pay as much as $3,000. IMO, what you pay in the beginning saves you in vet bills later. Please don't support BYBs!

I know it's hard to spend about $1,500 (I believe that's the norm) on a puppy, but with parents that have been health and temperament testing, you really do get what you pay for.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Master Member

I hope you find what you are looking for....Although i do agree on not buying from bad breeders, there is nothing wrong with purchasing a pup for 200.00-.
I paid 250.00 for ryder
300.00 for ace
and i just paid 150.00 for sophie...
I placed ace cause he needed more activity than what i could provide, not one of these dogs had any issues, at all. They are all pets and not for breeding, so may not be exact ideal standard, but all that matters to me, is they are healthy and fit into my family....I am sorry but when i was breeding dachshunds, i paid $600.00 for a male, that everything was wonderful on and still had to place him, because he was 16 plus pounds and we bred minis, i ended up selling him for like 200.00, that didn't even cover the cost of his vet bills. So i guess it just depends on what you are looking for.
Good luck in your search

Andrea.....

Love all my kids 2 and 4 legged.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 PM

Stay away from petstores. Don't rush into anything, do your homework and look for a good puppy. There are rescues in almost every state and you might find something there. Ask around if you see other owners that have a GSD ask where they got their dog. Just don't rush things.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post

STRENGTHS & WEAKNESSES

What is a Breeder

if you aren't looking to spend a lot then look into a gsd rescue or shelter

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Banned

VortecZ71

i don't know what spending much is to you. if you don't want to spend much because you don't have much you might
want to delay buying a puppy. you have the price of the pup
and all of that 1st year stuff, food, Vet care, shots, puppy
class, formal training, day care, dog sitter, preminum food, toys,
crate, etc.

if you can't afford a nice pup from a reputable breeder
wait untill you can. my GF and I put $50.00 to $100.00 a week
away untill we could afford to buy a nice pup. we could afford
to take great care of the pup once we brought him home.

now the question is can you afford a dog for the
long run???
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned

do these dogs have any kind of screening? are the parents
titled or screened for anything? are these dogs from
a breeder? any guarantees? reputable breeder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2bigboys View Post
I hope you find what you are looking for....Although i do agree on not buying from bad breeders, there is nothing wrong with purchasing a pup for 200.00-.
I paid 250.00 for ryder
300.00 for ace
and i just paid 150.00 for sophie..
Good luck in your search
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
This will be my first dog but my dad has had three or four throughout his life. How much should I expect to pay from a breeder (any particular ones you recommend)? How can I find some relatively local ones?
At this point I don't think of the $$$$ as what I'm paying for a puppy at all. Cause no matter if you have the best breeder in the world, doing the best job in the world, there is still a bit of a crap shoot with the genetics going on. So, for me, the $$$ is for the breeders program. What are their goals? Back ground? Experience? Knowledge? How have past litters worked out and what improvement changes are the results? OFA for hips, elbows, other genetic factors in past litters, keeping TRACK of all the past puppies from past litters, puppy paperwork/warranty...

So I know I'm able to take the time and save up to pay $1200 to $1500 to support that breeder and their program and get the puppy they choose for me (heck, that's what I'm paying for!).

With all the millions of dogs being killed in shelters every year (so depressing in our rescue section) THOSE dogs that are there are from irresponsible breeders. I personally REFUSE to ever give .01 to a person that just breeding for the $250 for the puppies and once that pup is out the door so is their responsibility. They used a dog that was available down the street and have no idea how healthy it is or it's relatives are or anything.

If I wasn't able to afford a responsible breeder, than I'd be working with the shelters/GSD rescues to get one of those puppies/dogs. Because at least the $$$$ I'd give then would be to save a dogs life, not supplement a poor breeder and encourage them to breed again just for more money and caring less where the pups are a year or so from their birth.

But that's me!!!!

MACH3 Bretta Lee Wildhaus MXG MJG MXF MFB TQX HIT CGC TC
Glory B Wildhaus AX, AXJ, XF
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page