German Shepherds Forum banner

Trainer in Indianapolis?

693 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  snakeybird 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I see the Indianapolis area training threads are 3-4 years old, so figured it would be OK to pose the same query again. I am looking for basic obedience training for an adult GSD lab mix and an adult Australian cattle dog. I am hoping to find a location on the south side of Indy. Has anyone used Pawsitive Partners Dog Training Center? Their location would be decent for us, if they are any good.

For the record, I am not interested in clicker training, so need a place that does not insist on that method. I understand a lot of folks love it, but I don't have a free hand for it in real life with dogs. Also I need a trainer that accepts that sometimes dogs get told NO, when it really is a NO.

There are no "red flag" issues with aggression or dominance, but the ACD was abused before being adopted from the shelter, and is somewhat wary of new people (beyond what is "normal" for the breed). She is actually pretty low key and even tempered, but never went to an obedience class. The GSD lab mix has a heart of gold, but is a puller and jumper; standard challenges I expect. The GSD mix may do better with private lessons; jumping on people entering the house and loose leash walking are the big challenges; he knows sit, stay, wait, leave it (or trade it), out (of the kitchen), go to bed, and a lot of other commands.

For the record, neither dog is actually mine, but I handle them a lot, and am motivated to work with them. I just haven't trained a dog before, and need a trainer to train me how to train them, if that makes sense.

I hope it is OK to post this on a GSD specific forum; honestly this is the best dog forum I've found.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.