Board and train, does it work - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2014, 02:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
lalachka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: queens, nyc
Posts: 3,677
Default Board and train, does it work

I saw two dogs that were boarded and trained. I saw them with their owners, not the trainers. Nothing impressive

I'm sure a good trainer can train my dog and have him be perfect. But I'm also sure that once he's back with me - he will go back to his old ways.

If i can't train him then I won't be able to learn to upkeep his training either. If I had to send him away then that probably means I don't have the time, the ability, the interest or the patience to train him myself. I don't see how that would change once he's back

What are your thoughts?

Also, is it possible that a b&t facility uses mostly or any positive methods? I'd think that they're short on time so they'd need to use more force or even all force.

Looking for an interesting discussion. I'd never b&t my dog so this is not something I need help deciding on.




Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-22-2014, 05:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western Isles, Scotland
Posts: 205
Default

I did think about board and train for my dog but only because we are really rural with no training classes and she's issues with other dogs, but I ended going with my dog to a trainer for 5 days.

I don't think they're awful but it's putting a lot of trust in someone who is often a stranger. You are sending your dog, a member of the family to live with a complete stranger under new rules. Like you I have to be a part of the training otherwise I can't see how the training would last.

There's also environmental differences that affect the dog. For example we're rural, the training wasn't. We now have a dog who we can get to behave in a city but not at home where it's all off lead dogs appearing out of nowhere. She was the best in her final class with 15 other dogs when we finished the 5 days but if one dog at home walks towards her.....she's crazy! To be honest, it was a waste of money. I should of paid someone to come and stay with us.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Amurphy26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
G-burg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,276
Default

Quote:
I saw two dogs that were boarded and trained. I saw them with their owners, not the trainers. Nothing impressive

I'm sure a good trainer can train my dog and have him be perfect. But I'm also sure that once he's back with me - he will go back to his old ways.

If i can't train him then I won't be able to learn to upkeep his training either. If I had to send him away then that probably means I don't have the time, the ability, the interest or the patience to train him myself. I don't see how that would change once he's back

What are your thoughts?

Also, is it possible that a b&t facility uses mostly or any positive methods? I'd think that they're short on time so they'd need to use more force or even all force.
Sure board and trains work.. And of all the ones I know.. They also give the people lessons (one on one/a few lessons a year or for the lifetime of the dog) in working with the dog when it comes home. So that way the owners can keep up with the dogs training and they know exactly what was taught and how.

I can only speak for the people/facilities I know.. And they use a mix of positive and negative training methods..

Sometimes people need a starting point with their dogs.. That way it can make it easier for them to continue on with the training.
__________________
Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, CGC ~ soon to be titled... And now Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..

Last edited by G-burg; 06-22-2014 at 07:03 AM.
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
lalachka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: queens, nyc
Posts: 3,677
Default Board and train, does it work

I don't look at it as a starting point though that's how it's marketed.

I haven't seen the dogs with the trainers, but let's assume that he listens to the trainer flawlessly. Whatever problem the owners had (bad timing, not enough time to train, not consistent enough, etc) is most likely still there unless somehow they decided to change right after boarding.



Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by lalachka; 06-22-2014 at 01:39 PM.
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
wolfy dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,787
Default

You never know what goes on behind closed doors. I don't trust any b&t trainer. The only person I trust with my dogs when I am gone is D's breeder and my neighbor who feeds them when I have to work long hours.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
lalachka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: queens, nyc
Posts: 3,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
You never know what goes on behind closed doors. I don't trust any b&t trainer. The only person I trust with my dogs when I am gone is D's breeder and my neighbor who feeds them when I have to work long hours.

Yep and that's the second part of my question. With such limited time the training must be mostly, if not all, force. I'm sure I wouldn't like what I saw.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
lalachka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: queens, nyc
Posts: 3,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amurphy26 View Post
I did think about board and train for my dog but only because we are really rural with no training classes and she's issues with other dogs, but I ended going with my dog to a trainer for 5 days.

I don't think they're awful but it's putting a lot of trust in someone who is often a stranger. You are sending your dog, a member of the family to live with a complete stranger under new rules. Like you I have to be a part of the training otherwise I can't see how the training would last.

There's also environmental differences that affect the dog. For example we're rural, the training wasn't. We now have a dog who we can get to behave in a city but not at home where it's all off lead dogs appearing out of nowhere. She was the best in her final class with 15 other dogs when we finished the 5 days but if one dog at home walks towards her.....she's crazy! To be honest, it was a waste of money. I should of paid someone to come and stay with us.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sorry, I missed your post

So you did send your dog for training? That's an interesting point, about rural and city. Does it really make that much of a difference?

I guess I'm talking about basic commands. Sit, come, down. I know that after boarding the trainer will teach you how to handle the dog.

Here are my problems with it.
From what I know, training must be done (or kept up) throughout the life of the dog. It takes about the same amt of skill to keep it up. If the owners couldn't train the dog then they probably can't keep it up either. I'd imagine that after a few weeks the dog will be back to the way he was.


Anyone actually did b&t here a while ago? How's the dog today?


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
G-burg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,276
Default

Quote:
I don't look at it as a starting point though that's how it's marketed.
But that's you!

Some people need that though, others that seek out boarding training don't.. There can be many reasons why someone goes that route.. And believe it or not there are a lot of good trainers that aren't abusive or neglectful and do have the dogs best interest at heart.. And not everyone is good at teaching the basics but have no problem keeping up the training once it's established!!

Our facility does not market it that..
__________________
Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, CGC ~ soon to be titled... And now Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..

Last edited by G-burg; 06-22-2014 at 04:45 PM.
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
lalachka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: queens, nyc
Posts: 3,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-burg View Post
But that's you!

Some people need that though, others that seek out boarding training don't.. There can be many reasons why someone goes that route.. And believe it or not there are a lot of good trainers that aren't abusive or neglectful and do have the dogs best interest at heart.. And not everyone is good at teaching the basics but have not problem keeping up the training once it's established!!

Our facility does not market it that..

That's why I'm posting. I'm wondering how this works.

And I don't think the dogs are abused per se, I'm sure there are good facilities. But the time IS limited and more force need to be used, no?


About keeping the training up. So if someone can't train the dog to come then they still can maintain the training?

I'd be interested to see a dog that was boarded a year ago and how he is today with his owners. Just curious


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 118
Default

Our Story - ************** Nitro Foundation


This is one of many reasons why I would never send my dog to a board and train

Last edited by BahCan; 06-22-2014 at 05:36 PM.
BahCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com