North Western NJ Trainer and training plan advice needed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question North Western NJ Trainer and training plan advice needed

Hi everyone,
Im located in Sussex county NJ and would like some opinions on some trainers that are 45 min in any direction.
The second part of my question is in regards to coming up with a plan for a new puppy. I currently own two dogs right now - a husky and a border collie.
The border collie we have had for a few years and we got her as a senior from a shelter, but the husky we had since she was a puppy and she is two y/o now. The husky we had no issues really with house breaking and we did a "basic obedience / puppy kindergarten" with her. In approx. 3 weeks we will be bringing home a new German Shepherd puppy. I would like to be able to work with this puppy past basic obedience.
So here are my questions:
- Trainer recommendations near Sussex County NJ
- "How to" come up with a training plan for the new addition
- Recommendation for bringing a new puppy into a home with two adult dogs
Lastly any other input or things we might not have considered would be really appreciated.
Thank you for reading!!
dfisch235 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

The current dogs male female? The new puppy male,female?
You have to remember there's going to be one who is the alpha dog. Can I ask where are you getting your shepherd from? And what type of lines is it? This will have a lot to do with socialization I recommend all dogs be on leash and the puppy comes in with who is the boss at home one on one interaction don't let the dogs rush the puppy. As far as a training plan you probably wouldn't want to start hard training. It should be more or less play time house breaking and getting it used to a new place. As far as training I use http://www.sjk9solutions.com for my gsd he's. South of Sussex but trains on weekends and has people traveling from pa and all over nj. Oh and will you be crating this puppy? I recommend this to keep the puppy safe when you aren't home or sleeping. They can be very sneaky. Any thing else is be glad to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfisch235 View Post
Hi everyone,
Im located in Sussex county NJ and would like some opinions on some trainers that are 45 min in any direction.
The second part of my question is in regards to coming up with a plan for a new puppy. I currently own two dogs right now - a husky and a border collie.
The border collie we have had for a few years and we got her as a senior from a shelter, but the husky we had since she was a puppy and she is two y/o now. The husky we had no issues really with house breaking and we did a "basic obedience / puppy kindergarten" with her. In approx. 3 weeks we will be bringing home a new German Shepherd puppy. I would like to be able to work with this puppy past basic obedience.
So here are my questions:
- Trainer recommendations near Sussex County NJ
- "How to" come up with a training plan for the new addition
- Recommendation for bringing a new puppy into a home with two adult dogs
Lastly any other input or things we might not have considered would be really appreciated.
Thank you for reading!!
Bobby25104 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 03:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the response bobby! My current dogs are female and we are bringing in another female. We have spoken with a few people regarding the dynamic of multiple females in the same quarters.
We are getting our new addition from Von der Coyle German Shepherds.
Crating is definitely going to be a must. My husky is still crated when we are not home - this is still for her safety even though she is rarely getting into anything she shouldnt these days.
Unfortunately the trainers you recommended are a little bit out of our driving range - close to a two hour commute. I would still like to see if anyone else has any other alternate trainer recommendation a little closer to my area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby25104 View Post
The current dogs male female? The new puppy male,female?
You have to remember there's going to be one who is the alpha dog. Can I ask where are you getting your shepherd from? And what type of lines is it? This will have a lot to do with socialization I recommend all dogs be on leash and the puppy comes in with who is the boss at home one on one interaction don't let the dogs rush the puppy. As far as a training plan you probably wouldn't want to start hard training. It should be more or less play time house breaking and getting it used to a new place. As far as training I use South Jersey K9 Solutions | Home of Quality European German Shepherd Dogs for my gsd he's. South of Sussex but trains on weekends and has people traveling from pa and all over nj. Oh and will you be crating this puppy? I recommend this to keep the puppy safe when you aren't home or sleeping. They can be very sneaky. Any thing else is be glad to help.
dfisch235 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 07:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Contact Beth Bradly - Dog Obedience Training

Felice vom Amulree, SchI, TRII, CD, RA, CGC, TDI
Andi Bojovnik "Brenna" Bh
Finnegan von der Zahnburg
RIP Duchess Liberty of Bayberry, CD, RE, CGC, TDI
RIP Liberty's Favorite Falon, CGC, TDI
RIP Moriarity's Renegade of Orchard Court "Reno"
Renofan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

The puppies look good! I still crate my 12 month old. Maybe try asking the breeder if they know of a trainer closer to that area I know there's a trainer in French town unsure the name. Good luck they definitely wear you out.!
Bobby25104 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

the trainer we use is located in franklin. his name is david. guy is pretty good. does everything from puppy kindergarten, to bite work to explosives detection. also does CGC testing. NJ dog training from Pet Dogs Unlimited - certified trainers provide in-home programs.
scarfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.