German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding a Good Trainer (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-good-trainer/)
-   -   Trainer in Michigan (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-good-trainer/433081-trainer-michigan.html)

SC72 04-03-2014 09:20 AM

Trainer in Michigan
 
Was curious if anyone here has had any experiences with "K9 Training" in Auburn, Michigan. The trainer's name is John Sampson. Thanks!

onyx'girl 04-03-2014 09:28 AM

Not familiar....what kind of training goals do you have? There are some great clubs around. If you want to do more than basic obedience, I'd recommend visiting a few clubs and see where you'd enjoy training.

pyratemom 04-03-2014 09:30 AM

Not quite sure what part of MI that Auburn is in but there are trainers in Stevensville. What kind of training are you getting in to?

onyx'girl 04-03-2014 09:36 AM

Who are the trainers in Stevensville?

SC72 04-03-2014 09:41 AM

The local Kennel Club would be utilized for puppy classes (great for socializing), as well as obedience. But am also interested in Personal Protection, which K9 training offers. I don't want to have to drive a ton for training (I am aware that most people have to deal with this), and that is why I am asking about John Sampson...due to the fact that Auburn, Michigan is about 30 minutes away.

Technically, still researching breeders, so I am not in a big rush for info...but decided to start researching the situation now.

pyratemom 04-03-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5316369)
Who are the trainers in Stevensville?

Unfortunately I do not remember the name. I was visiting my mother in the area I grew up near and noticed the new (to me anyway) training place on Red Arrow Highway. I got excited when I saw it because they were doing some puppy class it looked like and there were so many GSD pups I just had to stop and watch for a little while. They had a separate agility field and some other K9 type equipment (the straight up board fence to climb over, the tents to hide suspects in, etc) set up in a separate fenced area too. Since I live in Florida now and hadn't been to the area in 20 years it has changed a lot. Sorry for the non-information.

onyx'girl 04-03-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyratemom (Post 5316425)
Unfortunately I do not remember the name. I was visiting my mother in the area I grew up near and noticed the new (to me anyway) training place on Red Arrow Highway. I got excited when I saw it because they were doing some puppy class it looked like and there were so many GSD pups I just had to stop and watch for a little while. They had a separate agility field and some other K9 type equipment (the straight up board fence to climb over, the tents to hide suspects in, etc) set up in a separate fenced area too. Since I live in Florida now and hadn't been to the area in 20 years it has changed a lot. Sorry for the non-information.

I think it was the Northern Indian Schutzhund club you may have seen. I use to train with them. There is no trainers over that way anymore(the club is still active)

onyx'girl 04-03-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC72 (Post 5316401)
The local Kennel Club would be utilized for puppy classes (great for socializing), as well as obedience. But am also interested in Personal Protection, which K9 training offers. I don't want to have to drive a ton for training (I am aware that most people have to deal with this), and that is why I am asking about John Sampson...due to the fact that Auburn, Michigan is about 30 minutes away.

Technically, still researching breeders, so I am not in a big rush for info...but decided to start researching the situation now.

I still recommend visiting some clubs(that way you can also see the different lines of dogs working, make contacts with trainers and see what you really like or don't like) There are some great events/trials in the summer months, I'd take advantage and attend some.
The Alpha Team Challenge

United Schutzhund Clubs of America ? Region/Events

If you are on facebook, there are a couple pages to join. I'd also ask there about this trainer.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/109903339084373/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/easternk9/?fref=ts

Susan_GSD_mom 04-03-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC72 (Post 5316273)
Was curious if anyone here has had any experiences with "K9 Training" in Auburn, Michigan. The trainer's name is John Sampson. Thanks!

I am in Saginaw, and I don't recall the name. But if he is new, I probably wouldn't have heard of him. There is a retired K9 officer who trains/teaches near Hemlock, MI, west of Saginaw. PM me if you want his phone number.

pyratemom 04-03-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5316489)
I think it was the Northern Indian Schutzhund club you may have seen. I use to train with them. There is no trainers over that way anymore(the club is still active)

Thanks. It's too bad they don't have trainers any more but I'm glad the club is still active. I hadn't been to that area in a long time as my mother purchased a small house in Florida to stay in the winters. Recently she sold it and made Michigan her year round home again so I had to visit up there.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2