German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding a Good Trainer (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-good-trainer/)
-   -   Conflicted training experiences, Wash. State (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-good-trainer/400306-conflicted-training-experiences-wash-state.html)

von Bolen 01-22-2014 10:35 PM

Conflicted training experiences, Wash. State

So, I'm having the most amazing experiencing training with my Czech working Gshep Xara under the methods of Bart de Gols. No complaints whatsoever. It's all about building a personal relationship and trust with your dog. Expensive, but this guys is world renowned for a danm good reason.

Now, my outcross 1.5 years old male Petey... he's a softy. Amazingly calm and welcoming temperament. We are gearing him to be therapy dog certified, because he is just amazing in public and with strangers. People LOVE this dog. So my mom, who is handling his training, has been taking him to a trainer who shall not be named, that I feel destroys dogs spirits from what I've heard of the 3 weeks of training my mom and Petey have gone through. No matter how well a dog already knows a command, this person wants you to choke the s*it out of them every time you give them a command. Of course, my mom doesn't comply, as we would rather fail the class than to do that to our dog. This person is of the old 'yank-and-crank' style of training, and had we known that, we would not have gone to her. Not only that, she single's people out and makes examples of them in front of the whole class for what not to do. How bitter and insecure! not to mention unfairly belittling. Has anyone else experienced this with trainer's before? I'm too spiteful to pull my dog from this class. i'd rather have my mom trudge through, finish the class, pass or fail, and stick to our ethics that is based on having our dogs comply out of enjoying to work rather than to instil fear of abuse if they don't comply.

OriginalWacky 01-23-2014 12:58 AM

Why on earth would you continue to return to a class like this?

von Bolen 01-23-2014 01:02 AM

Like I said, I'm too spiteful to quit. Maybe prove this person wrong by sticking to our ethics? Besides, its already bought and paid for.

Castlemaid 01-23-2014 01:17 AM

I think quitting would be a better expression of your opinion of this person than sticking it out. It shows that you know better than what she is trying to ram down your throat.

OriginalWacky 01-23-2014 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castlemaid (Post 4887562)
I think quitting would be a better expression of your opinion of this person than sticking it out. It shows that you know better than what she is trying to ram down your throat.

Yeah, this. I personally would feel like my ethics would require me to get away from somebody like that, and make sure to spread the word far and wide. Much like I was willing to share the name of my awesome trainer all over the place because I think she was great, and deserved the accolades. Not leaving the class is reminiscent of not stepping in when you see something 'bad' happen for me personally.

wolfy dog 01-23-2014 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalWacky (Post 4887578)
Yeah, this. I personally would feel like my ethics would require me to get away from somebody like that, and make sure to spread the word far and wide. Much like I was willing to share the name of my awesome trainer all over the place because I think she was great, and deserved the accolades. Not leaving the class is reminiscent of not stepping in when you see something 'bad' happen for me personally.

A ruined dog is a big price to pay to "stick with ethics".

von Bolen 01-23-2014 02:52 AM

well, for one we will not let our dog be ruined. we will either recieve a failing grade or be asked to leave the class for non-complience to methods we feel are harmful to our dog. i wanna stick it out till its over before i make my criticisms to this person, as this person has a high latter position at the very high school-cliquey crowd at the local Gshep club. i cant sgand bullies and im compelled to stand up to them. But, if the personal belittlement continues, the gloves are coming off...

volcano 01-23-2014 03:05 AM

I had alot of probs finding a trainer, we still have found "the one" Alot of trainers arent used to a good dog. I had my shutz trainers shutting ME down and saying not to do much obedience and now I see why.
When a good gsd is over a year old they learn instantly, so doing alot of repetition isnt necessary. Thats why good kennels sell "green "dogs, they are ready to learn it all fast. And yank and crank is unnecessary. Id leave the trainer and do it on my own if you cant find someone you agree with.

If you paid and are somewhat obligated then let the trainer know you arent gonna yank and crank, they should be able to adjust their methods somewhat.

I went back to my initial training club for agility, they do their best to shutdown all the dogs and then they feel proud of the dogs doing hard obedience stuff like stay, but no other dog can come near or itll be a fight- and its the other dogs fault for coming too close. Ill deal with it, thankfully the agility isnt like that.

Blanketback 01-23-2014 10:14 AM

I had a similar experience with a trainer here, who also happened to be a GSD breeder. I ended up pulling my pup from his classes. Paying for something is only half the equation - you also need to benefit from it, enjoy it, get some value from it. This class sounds just awful for Petey, from what you've said, and ultimately he'll be the one paying the price for your stubbornness.

onyx'girl 01-23-2014 10:29 AM

Really, why would you waste a poor dogs spirit just to prove a point? Sad for Petey if he has to deal with one person's methods that isn't in his interest. A hard dog may be fine with such crap, but a soft dog is just going to shut down.
Wouldn't be worth my time to fight with someone who's methods I disagree with. I'd rather just remove myself from their world.