Hey NJ people! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hey NJ people!

OK so I am thinking of going to a different type of trainer, possibly one on one or one of those Dan Gentile two weeks away kinda trainers. (Even though I can not find prices on him ANYWHERE!) I am resorting to this because of my schedule making it so much harder to attend the classes at Clever K9 (who did his puppy kindegarten and I enjoyed them). Plus I am nervous about taking Hero back there because he is much bigger, stronger and less social than when he was a puppy and I think he would be interupting class. I like the people over there but I am not sure what I should do.

So if anyone has central jersey trainers they reccomend I am ALL ears! Or if anyone has dealt with Dan Gentile and doesn't mind telling me the price or their experience? I just want whats best for Hero, and I am not living up to my end of this bargain. He has to be back in class like NOW and I am trying to help but the whole "sit" "down" "leave it" "no" is about all he knows. He walks on a harness fantastically but on a regular collar and leash he is very rude. I know and understand and accept responsibility for all of his behaviors as a lack of my ability and dedication but I was gone for a month and a half because of the hurricane. But now its back into high gear. I am just kinda lost on where to start. I do what I can each day but it isn't nearly enough!

Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
AJT

Are you looking to send him away for training? Weekly classes where you participate? Or are you open to have the trainer come to you?

There is just a number of trainers everywhere with varying price points pending on what you want your dog to do or goals you hope to acheive. Do you want solid obedience or training in a specific behavior (tracking, herding, etc.)?

How old is Hero now? 6 months?
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I love agility and Kim Seiter is starting up new classes at Morris K9 Campus

They also have obedience classes.

Course they want us in class learning beside our pup, so if you want to send a puppy away then I don't have recommendations for that.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

There is a SchH club in Edison that kept sending me information of a three-week board and train, and well to keep it simple, I refused to follow up anymore of that - I asked many times, and got the same generic email even though I spoke to the gentleman twice on the phone and sent follow up emails and asked him specifically about ScH and NOT what he had sent in the email, guess he doesn't care enough to do anything about it so thumbs down on him.

Quote:
Board and Train Basic Obedience (5 months and up)

3 week Basic Obedience Course/Behavioral Modification Course

This program was carefully designed for those families that just simply don't have the time to provide a consistent training regimen on our private one on one course or while the owners are away on business or vacation, their dogs can have private lessons each day.

Your dog will learn proper manners and behavior modification such as unwanted jumping, excessive barking, aggression to other dogs, heeling correctly without pulling on your side, sit-stay-come-down and the word NO.

After the initial training period, you and other family members will need to attend 2 one on one private lessons. A critical part of your dog's training course, these private lessons are designed to teach you how to handle your dog and to ensure that you understand and can properly execute all of the commands.

We also offer a pick up and drop off service at your convenience (pick up and drop off does not include airfare, hotel stays and trainers fee).

Curriculum includes:

3 week board and train course

2 follow up one on one private lessons

Life time follow up discounted refresher lessons

Daily long walks on our 12 acre facility

Bathed and groomed before departure

K-9 certificate of graduation

*A pre-registration interview may be required as well as proof of vaccinations.

*The price of this board and train program is $800 and must be paid in full at the beginning of this program.

*Space is limited to a maximum of 4 dogs boarding and training in our home, not at the kennel, to allow us to focus on your dog

and his/her individual needs.
Carlos Rojas - YouTube

Carlos Rojas - YouTube
jagermeister408 - YouTube
jagermeister408 - YouTube

Carlos Rojas
German Shepherd Breeder, Trainer NJ: Protection Dogs, Puppies For Sale | Jagermeister Shepherds NJ
Top Dog in Flanders was okay, but it came highly recommended from a local trainer when I needed classes and she was in between sessions. I didn't like the class trainer there, all yap yap yap no actual teaching. But they do less social dog classes, and are reasonably priced.

Last edited by jae; 12-28-2012 at 10:44 AM.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wink-_-wink View Post
I just want whats best for Hero, and I am not living up to my end of this bargain.
I know and understand and accept responsibility for all of his behaviors as a lack of my ability and dedication
It sounds like YOU are the one that needs the training - on how to train Hero.

Sending him away to training will not help you learn how to work with him. I would highly recommend looking for more classes that you can take him to. Explain to the instructor that Hero may be disruptive - they should be able to work with that.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

A trainer I love and would recommend is Marty at Flying W Dog Training once again, since training a dog is as much (really more) about training the person on the other end of the leash, you would have to take on the responsibility and attend.

Dog classes are really fun and it's amazing how when we learn, our pups become BRILLIANT and start to listen to us! Marty knows other good trainer too so can recommend for either privates or group classes.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would prefer to NOT send him away, I would rather do the classes with him and learn together! I only mentioned that boarding school because I see commercials for that place about 10000 times a day.

As for my desired outcome for the training, it is to learn as a team not to fix his behaviors. His behavior is typical young (6 month) GSD puppy behaviors. He is not a bad dog at all!! Today I started doing some actual work with him. I cut my sleep about an hour and a half short so I could dedicate more time to him (balancing prego wife and 2 kids in there too). Well Long story short, as expected, a little bit of work and Hero shows me how smart he is and how eager he is to make me happy!

He LOVE LOVE LOVES his Kong Ballistic frisbee type thing. So naturally it was what I used for rewards. He has mastered voice and gesture for "Sit", "Lay", and is pretty good at "Stay". Tonight we worked on "GIVE" and "Drop It". After about 10-15 minutes, he would chase his Kong, bring it back, sit and drop it and patiently wait for me to continue. Then sometimes I wouldn't throw it but mess with him with the toy, basically playing TUG, and when he was all worked up and playing I would say "GIVE" and he would let it go. I was extremely happy. Then I would walk and he would be following the toy and I would mid stride say HERO SIT, and mid stride he would sit! All in all this just tells me that my untrained attempts to train him worked and that with proffesionals teaching me to teach him, he could be an amazing dog! (as far as agility goes, we tried a little bit, and he seemed to really enjoy the going through the tire and he LOVEs to jump! Sometimes I toss an oversized tennis ball or his kong and he will leap up and catch it mid air instead of having to chase it!)

I will be looking into the above mentioned places and THANK EVERYONE for their input!

Oh and as far as him being disruptive, Is it alright to keep the bark collar on him in class? and should he be on his easy walker harness or just a colalr and leash?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

*Update*
Morris K9- 80 miles away
Flying W- 108 miles away

I should add that I am in Ocean county lol good suggestions though they both looked like good places! I may stick with Clever K9 since it is where he went to puppy kindegarten
Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
AJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wink-_-wink View Post
*Update*
Morris K9- 80 miles away
Flying W- 108 miles away

I should add that I am in Ocean county lol good suggestions though they both looked like good places! I may stick with Clever K9 since it is where he went to puppy kindegarten
Hahaha, just want to tease you but Ocean County is soooooo not Central NJ. I had assumed that you were in Central NJ since you asked for Central NJ trainers. Carlos Rojas is closer to you. He is in New Egypt. His business is Jaegermeister Shepherds.
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT View Post
Hahaha, just want to tease you but Ocean County is soooooo not Central NJ. I had assumed that you were in Central NJ since you asked for Central NJ trainers. Carlos Rojas is closer to you. He is in New Egypt. His business is Jaegermeister Shepherds.
North Jersey says we arent from north jersey, south jersey says were not from south jersey and now central jersey is kicking us out too!! lol we are more south than north but more middle than south! Screw it we will make up our own name.. we are the OTHER part of jersey lol We ARE the jersey shore! If we cant be part of north south or central jersey then you BENNY's can stay away!! hahahahhaha <3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.