Fear Aggression & finding best trainer for this - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

That's what I was going to say!

I also find that a fear aggressive dog is more sensitive to things like transitions and it's easier in the long run to keep them with you.

Is she mostly like this with dogs or people or both? I am weird in that I have some confidence with FA and people but am a basket case with FA and dogs! So I do understand that stinkin thinkin that we get in trying to help our dogs.
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Unhappy

Well it's both. Initally it was mostly towards dogs she didn't know but it's also human & that's the one that really freaks me out. She hasn't bitten anyone but she sounds horrific.

Dogs can't make their dreams come true so people have to.
marielrowland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
That's what I was going to say!

I also find that a fear aggressive dog is more sensitive to things like transitions and it's easier in the long run to keep them with you.

Is she mostly like this with dogs or people or both? I am weird in that I have some confidence with FA and people but am a basket case with FA and dogs! So I do understand that stinkin thinkin that we get in trying to help our dogs.
Really wasn't trying to speak for you

I remember the same feelings the OP described and trying to locate the right trainer. I've had fearful dogs before, but Woolf has put me through the wringer. Wading through the trainers, some who just promised more then they could deliver, others who just shouldn't have said they handle aggression issues was an experience in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marielrowland View Post
Well it's both. Initally it was mostly towards dogs she didn't know but it's also human & that's the one that really freaks me out. She hasn't bitten anyone but she sounds horrific.
Since I don't know your dog and only guessing here, don't take it for anything close to fact. Since the HA has started after you first realized the DA, I wonder if she isn't picking up on your emotions - the anxiousness, tension - and deciding she has to 'handle the monster' herself.

With Woolf, who has been HA sometimes from the beginning, the only time I could say he wouldn't react is if he was completely ignored by the person, otherwise it was all bets off and then I would separate and crate him. It has progressed to now initially he is leashed (issues of the opposite now, he gets to excited) until calm, then allowed to greet the person. I usually have to call him back to give the person a break from being shown the ball lol. The reactions I get now is when it is my fault. A person appears unexpectedly, surprises me then he will react. That is the next goal I have to work on - me staying calm when surprised <sigh>

Lot of text to explain what I meant by picking up on your emotions.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.