Training by OJ k9 coach in CA - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
mocamacho92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Inland Empire, California
Posts: 168
Default Training by OJ k9 coach in CA

I'm considering seeing this trainer named OJ from Los Angeles CA. He was on the dog whisperer and his website has some great testimonials. My 1 year old GSD needs obedience training because she misbehaves around other dogs and sometimes people, so I want to learn how to take control. Anyone suggest any trainers in Southern California?
mocamacho92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
lennoxbradley88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 188
Default

I take classes with him. He uses the choke chain method. If you are okay with that the go for it. He is good but he will cost you around $500 for 15 classes. I don't go that often because I'm not a "fan" of the choke chain method. I prefer using it as a LAST resort.
__________________
Mark
Schatzi - German Shepherd 3/5/12
Cudi - Alaskan Malamute 8/17/12
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Olivers mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 455
Default

For years, the 'choke chain' method was the primary tool used. It has since taken a back seat to all the "new & improved" training tools...

IMO, I would never go to a trainer named OJ...
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
martemchik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,345
Default

I saw him on the dog whisperer...thought his methods were pretty good. He tested the dog's drives and all that. Tried to figure out what really got to the dog as a reward (food, play, praise) and that's what he based his training off. Many trainers won't even go that far.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
lennoxbradley88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
I saw him on the dog whisperer...thought his methods were pretty good. He tested the dog's drives and all that. Tried to figure out what really got to the dog as a reward (food, play, praise) and that's what he based his training off. Many trainers won't even go that far.
Well I can say that he did that for show because in reality his methods are the Choke Chain with food reward. I only attend his classes twice and payed $500. I know I was dumb but anyways he grabbed Schatzi's leash and yanked her because she got excited around my mom. Once he did that I finished that class and haven't gone since. He never tried to figure out what motivated Schatzi. No toys, tug, or praise. It was here is a Choker and this is what you do.
__________________
Mark
Schatzi - German Shepherd 3/5/12
Cudi - Alaskan Malamute 8/17/12
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Olivers mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennoxbradley88 View Post
Well I can say that he did that for show because in reality his methods are the Choke Chain with food reward. I only attend his classes twice and payed $500. I know I was dumb but anyways he grabbed Schatzi's leash and yanked her because she got excited around my mom. Once he did that I finished that class and haven't gone since. He never tried to figure out what motivated Schatzi. No toys, tug, or praise. It was here is a Choker and this is what you do.
I know many of you prefer the new ways of training - with your pockets full of treats, toys, maybe even the phone # of the next-door neighbor's dog. Much of that is fluff & an excuse to overcharge, IMO.

Obviously, you didn't do anything when your dog reacted to your mom. Had he done nothing, he would've missed an excellent chance to correct the behavior & in turn, teach YOU how to teach your dog.

Geez, what do you expect these trainers (& I use that term loosely) to do when the dog misbehaves? Hand it a treat, then a toy, then lots of praise? No oner's saying the trainer has to be harsh. But firm, Yes. Only if you want a well-trained dog.

If you want a robot with fur --- I think they sell those somewhere...
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA, US
Posts: 838
Default

I watched OJ trained a few times and he briefly evaluated my dog. His assessment of my dog I thought was good and was gentle with my dog but firm. I didn't sign up with him in the end because I lived too far and was moving out of town.

I thought his rates were one of the cheaper ones I've seen. $500 for 15 classes is on the lower end for trainers with a good amount of GSD backgrounds.

I saw a dog that was too much for the owners to control. The dog I think is fine but the owner just doesn't know how to control their dog so OJ used a different collar to help with the control so that the dog and handler can learn instead of trying to hold on to their dog the whole time.

It's hard to judge a trainer over internet since we all have different opinions and sides. I'd recommend you go visit his class and bring your dog with you for him to look at before committing.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
lennoxbradley88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
I know many of you prefer the new ways of training - with your pockets full of treats, toys, maybe even the phone # of the next-door neighbor's dog. Much of that is fluff & an excuse to overcharge, IMO.

Obviously, you didn't do anything when your dog reacted to your mom. Had he done nothing, he would've missed an excellent chance to correct the behavior & in turn, teach YOU how to teach your dog.

Geez, what do you expect these trainers (& I use that term loosely) to do when the dog misbehaves? Hand it a treat, then a toy, then lots of praise? No oner's saying the trainer has to be harsh. But firm, Yes. Only if you want a well-trained dog.

If you want a robot with fur --- I think they sell those somewhere...
Well how am I suppose to do anything when he had my dog? Honestly there are better ways. I solved that problem easily. I stepped on the lease let my mom pass by and praise my dog. Now my mom goes out and Schatzi doesn't jump or gets very excited. I did all that without the use of a choke chain. In my eyes that is just a lazy way to train a dog.

Yanking the dog because she misbehaved is being harsh when there are other ways to handle the situation. A person can be firm with their dogs without the use of a choke chain.
__________________
Mark
Schatzi - German Shepherd 3/5/12
Cudi - Alaskan Malamute 8/17/12
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Olivers mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 455
Default

To each his own when it comes to training. You don't like the choker chain, I don't like all the bells & whistles. We wouldn;t have a single K9 officer working today if the oly training he had was a nice pat on the head. These are GSDs - not toy poodles. No harshness is needed. But yes, one must be firm. No-nonsense when it comes to working with a 88-lb dog with big teeth & stubborn as an ox.

Treats, food, praise, clickers, choker chains, GL, ecollar --- to each his own. Do the Hokie-Pokie if it works. But I still think the trainer was well within his limits to correct your dog. How else will you - & subsequently your dog - learn?

What kind of collar does your dog wear? And all it took was ONE TIME of you holding the leash & then praising when the dog didn't knock your mom down? Well then heck - you're way beyond me cause it always takes me more than once to teach or correct a behavior. Congrats!
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
lennoxbradley88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
To each his own when it comes to training. You don't like the choker chain, I don't like all the bells & whistles. We wouldn;t have a single K9 officer working today if the oly training he had was a nice pat on the head. These are GSDs - not toy poodles. No harshness is needed. But yes, one must be firm. No-nonsense when it comes to working with a 88-lb dog with big teeth & stubborn as an ox.

Treats, food, praise, clickers, choker chains, GL, ecollar --- to each his own. Do the Hokie-Pokie if it works. But I still think the trainer was well within his limits to correct your dog. How else will you - & subsequently your dog - learn?

What kind of collar does your dog wear? And all it took was ONE TIME of you holding the leash & then praising when the dog didn't knock your mom down? Well then heck - you're way beyond me cause it always takes me more than once to teach or correct a behavior. Congrats!
*** Comments Removed by ADMIN ***

Anyways, in regards to your statement about not having k-9s working if it weren't for the choke chains and all that. Well I don't know how you will take this but in Fullerton, Anaheim, Brea majority of their K9 officers are taught without the use of a prong and/or choke chains. I told you once, but I'll tell you again...A person can be firm without using them.
__________________
Mark
Schatzi - German Shepherd 3/5/12
Cudi - Alaskan Malamute 8/17/12

Last edited by Castlemaid; 11-17-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Personal attacks.
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com