Training by OJ k9 coach in CA - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennoxbradley88 View Post
*** Comments Removed by ADMIN ***
Anyways, in regards to your statement about not having k-9s working if it weren't for the choke chains and all that. Well I don't know how you will take this but in Fullerton, Anaheim, Brea majority of their K9 officers are taught without the use of a prong and/or choke chains. I told you once, but I'll tell you again...A person can be firm without using them.
Not buying this...I've been in LE with K9's for 15 years in two agencies and I have never...yes never...seen a working PATROL K9 that is NEVER trained with a choke, prong or an e collar. You never mentioned e collar so maybe you were just referring to the choke/prong methods. Nevertheless, it is quite simply not possible to train these dogs to be patrol dogs with a clicker, a treat, and a pat on the head. Not going to happen.

Last edited by Castlemaid; 11-17-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Edited quote original comment was removed
kam214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocamacho92 View Post
I'm considering seeing this trainer named OJ from Los Angeles CA. He was on the dog whisperer and his website has some great testimonials. My 1 year old GSD needs obedience training because she misbehaves around other dogs and sometimes people, so I want to learn how to take control. Anyone suggest any trainers in Southern California?
I'm in Reseda (west of LA in the San Fernando Valley) if you're interested in Ecollar work.

Lou Castle, Los Angeles, CA
uncllou@aol.com
www.loucastle.com
LouCastle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
*** Comments Removed by ADMIN ***
Wow, pretty rude.

Quote:
Anyways, in regards to your statement about not having k-9s working if it weren't for the choke chains and all that. Well I don't know how you will take this but in Fullerton, Anaheim, Brea majority of their K9 officers are taught without the use of a prong and/or choke chains. I told you once, but I'll tell you again...A person can be firm without using them.
I'll have to disagree regarding your comment "in Fullerton, Anaheim, Brea majority of their K9 officers are taught without the use of a prong and/or choke chains." I know their trainer and he uses those tools.

The only thing I can think of is that you're talking about the detector dogs from those departments. Those dogs are often trained without those tools. Their work is taught as a game with play for the most part. That results in unreliability in the work, but that's another story.

uncllou@aol.com
www.loucastle.com
Old 11-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam214 View Post
Not buying this...I've been in LE with K9's for 15 years in two agencies and I have never...yes never...seen a working PATROL K9 that is NEVER trained with a choke, prong or an e collar. You never mentioned e collar so maybe you were just referring to the choke/prong methods. Nevertheless, it is quite simply not possible to train these dogs to be patrol dogs with a clicker, a treat, and a pat on the head. Not going to happen.
I'm with you. I've was in LE for 30 years. I've been working with LE K−9's since 1979. Never in all my travels, from one side of the US to the other, or my trips to Canada, the UK and Spain, have I seen a patrol K−9 that was not trained, at least at some point in his career, with either a choke chain, a pinch collar, or an Ecollar. Perhaps lennoxbradley88 was talking about detection dogs who sometimes are trained with these tools? It's a mistake, there are far more effective ways to do it, but most of the country uses OC for this sort of training. But for Patrol dogs, never ...

In fact for many years I've had a challenge available that will bring a finder's fee/training fee of $1,000 to the person who can find me a police patrol K−9 that has been trained only with the so−called "kinder gentler methods." I'll supply the details if anyone is interested. The challenge has been on the Net since about 2000 and no one has ever found me such a dog.

uncllou@aol.com
www.loucastle.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.