Training by OJ k9 coach in CA - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennoxbradley88;2624796[I
*** Comments Removed by ADMIN ***[/I] Anyways, in regards to your statement about not having k-9s working if it weren't for the choke chains and all that. Well I don't know how you will take this but in Fullerton, Anaheim, Brea majority of their K9 officers are taught without the use of a prong and/or choke chains. I told you once, but I'll tell you again...A person can be firm without using them.
Whoa Nellie! I can get into the personals too, if you wish. I'm glad you're in a position to fault others while not being able to handle any criticism yourself. Kudos.

Have you seen the teachings of the K9's in these areas? I'm curious as to their training methods. I've 2 friends as LAPD K9 officers & have been able to watch some of their training. Exciting & very intense. Utilize all kinds of tools. Same thing up in our area. I never tire of watching them work - they are amazing examples of the breed(s), IMO.

Luv, Ignorant Becky

Last edited by Castlemaid; 11-17-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Edited quote since comments had been removed.
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
Whoa Nellie! I can get into the personals too, if you wish. I'm glad you're in a position to fault others while not being able to handle any criticism yourself. Kudos.

Have you seen the teachings of the K9's in these areas? I'm curious as to their training methods. I've 2 friends as LAPD K9 officers & have been able to watch some of their training. Exciting & very intense. Utilize all kinds of tools. Same thing up in our area. I never tire of watching them work - they are amazing examples of the breed(s), IMO.

Luv, Ignorant Becky
Well what I find funny is that you criticized me without anyone asking for you critique. Answer the question that was asked without even mentioning you. But, no miss I know it all wants to come in and act as she has a clue as to what my dog and I do or how we train. I'm actually glad you asked, because my uncle is part of the Fullerton K9 force and they train their K9's in Brea. Yes I have seen them train and they are one of the reasons why I want another GSD but a working line this time.
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennoxbradley88 View Post
I take classes with him. He uses the choke chain method. If you are okay with that the go for it. He is good but he will cost you around $500 for 15 classes. I don't go that often because I'm not a "fan" of the choke chain method. I prefer using it as a LAST resort.
Is the choke chain like a prong collar? Because I use a prong collar. Is he good??
mocamacho92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear L View Post
I watched OJ trained a few times and he briefly evaluated my dog. His assessment of my dog I thought was good and was gentle with my dog but firm. I didn't sign up with him in the end because I lived too far and was moving out of town.

I thought his rates were one of the cheaper ones I've seen. $500 for 15 classes is on the lower end for trainers with a good amount of GSD backgrounds.

I saw a dog that was too much for the owners to control. The dog I think is fine but the owner just doesn't know how to control their dog so OJ used a different collar to help with the control so that the dog and handler can learn instead of trying to hold on to their dog the whole time.

It's hard to judge a trainer over internet since we all have different opinions and sides. I'd recommend you go visit his class and bring your dog with you for him to look at before committing.
Thanks for your input. I might see him next weekend. I also think $500 for 15 wks isn't too bad.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

My dog has so much excitement and is tough, and the prong is the only thing that works for me lol. I want training so that I can learn how to control her without it.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have heard good things about him but I have no personal experience with him. I would say check him out and if you like his methods then great. If not then you can keep your search for a trainer that fits you going. Good luck!
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Chokes / prongs are all part of a "kit"of tools that people use. Just like halti's, harnesses, martingales, e-collars, etc. Some are more intense than others ... designed for dogs with specific issues that you are trying to address.

Personally, I never used any treats to train my dog in ANYTHING ... nor did I use a prong or choke. I used a martingale to train my dog, and yes, she got a quick correction with the leash. I trained her YOUNG so I don't have to deal with 99% of the issues that I see crop up here on the forum (for that I am eternally grateful).

Do I think that using treats as a reward for good behaviour is the way to train a dog? No, but I'm not on here bashing people about how they train their dogs ... nor should other people be getting upset at those that use a different method AS LONG AS THE DOG IS NOT GETTING HURT.

OP - have you watched how some of these K9s are trained? watch some youtube videos that people have posted in here on SCH ... these dogs are not being abused by any stretch of the imagination - they are being corrected firmly, not with abuse / maliciousness ... and they are not getting treats popped into their mouths every time they do something right.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocamacho92 View Post
Is the choke chain like a prong collar? Because I use a prong collar. Is he good??
It will work. He uses either one. He is a good trainer if you have an aggressive type of dog, which it sounds like you do. So his methods will help you out. Yeah $500 is not much but since I've only been to 2 classes it is for me haha. The only downside is that there is no organization. He just throws you into class. Some dogs are more advanced and others are barely starting so it kind of holds the class back in a away. Also, he tries teaching you a lot of things in 1 hr. Last class I went he worked on sit, stay, heel, down, crawl, stand, no leash pulling. That would be great if all dogs were at the same level of training. But overall he is a good trainer. He knows what he talks about.

Last edited by lennoxbradley88; 11-08-2012 at 06:57 PM.
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Well how am I suppose to do anything when he had my dog? Honestly there are better ways. I solved that problem easily. I stepped on the lease let my mom pass by and praise my dog. Now my mom goes out and Schatzi doesn't jump or gets very excited. I did all that without the use of a choke chain. In my eyes that is just a lazy way to train a dog.

Yanking the dog because she misbehaved is being harsh when there are other ways to handle the situation. A person can be firm with their dogs without the use of a choke chain.
Yes, they can speak with a firm voice!

Heck, probably don't even need any collar.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
It will work. He uses either one. He is a good trainer if you have an aggressive type of dog, which it sounds like you do. So his methods will help you out. Yeah $500 is not much but since I've only been to 2 classes it is for me haha. The only downside is that there is no organization. He just throws you into class. Some dogs are more advanced and others are barely starting so it kind of holds the class back in a away. Also, he tries teaching you a lot of things in 1 hr. Last class I went he worked on sit, stay, heel, down, crawl, stand, no leash pulling. That would be great if all dogs were at the same level of training. But overall he is a good trainer. He knows what he talks about.
She's not aggressive, she just gets really excited. Thanks for your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.