Which TOTW to feed a 6 month old puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Which TOTW to feed a 6 month old puppy?

I am currently feeding Fromm, however, she's been awfully itchy on it so I'm looking into something grain free to see if that's the issue. Fromm does have grain free, but I don't like the price range of their grain free and totw is the same as the fromm gold LBP
I was looking at taste of the wild, but they don't have a large breed formula. So I was curious which I should get.
Also if you guys know any other grain free alternative that's in those price ranges then feel free to share.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170614_122549_540_1497553368780.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	428506  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Crowned Member

I fed TOTW Pacific Stream puppy formula.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:47 PM
Crowned Member

What brand name treats are you feeding?

Any supplements?

I would go with Acana which does not contain any chicken items, flax, yeast or potatoes:
Acana Limited “Singles”: Pork & Butternut Squash: http://acana.com/our-foods/singles/p...ternut-squash/
Ingredients: Deboned pork*, pork meal, green lentils, red lentils, pork liver*, butternut squash*, pork fat, green peas, yellow peas, canola oil, algae, garbanzo beans, pumpkin*, carrots*, pork kidney*, freeze-dried pork liver, kelp, chicory root, ginger root, peppermint leaf, lemon balm, mixed tocopherols (preservative), dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product. They also have a limited lamb. There is also Duck, Lamb & Mackerel. Pork & Squash Limited treats: https://acana.com/our-foods/dog-food...uash/?lang=usa

Moms

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post

Any supplements?

I would go with Acana which does not contain any chicken items, flax, yeast or potatoes:
Acana Limited ?Singles?: Pork & Butternut Squash: http://acana.com/our-foods/singles/p...ternut-squash/
Ingredients: Deboned pork*, pork meal, green lentils, red lentils, pork liver*, butternut squash*, pork fat, green peas, yellow peas, canola oil, algae, garbanzo beans, pumpkin*, carrots*, pork kidney*, freeze-dried pork liver, kelp, chicory root, ginger root, peppermint leaf, lemon balm, mixed tocopherols (preservative), dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product. They also have a limited lamb. There is also Duck, Lamb & Mackerel. Pork & Squash Limited treats: https://acana.com/our-foods/dog-food...uash/?lang=usa

Moms
I am not really big on giving treats, but other than bones. I give the freeze died orijen treats. Currently the black Angus beef
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Which is the same company as acana, but the food is sooo pricey ?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Any supplements?

Acana Limited ?Singles?: Pork & Butternut Squash: http://acana.com/our-foods/singles/p...ternut-squash/

Moms
I was trying to do coconut oil or fish oil but it gives her diarrhea.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:51 PM
Knighted Member

Taste of the wild used to just be an all life stages food, then they came out with a couple of puppy formulas and when I asked them about what changes were made to the adult/previously all life stages, all I got were non answers from some thin skinned vet. At 6mos, the adult Pacific Stream is fine. I've never had any problem with it. Depending on where you are, I'd think first about the change in the weather leading to itchy skin. I'd go with a bath and a lot of extra brushing for a while.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi GSD View Post
I am not really big on giving treats, but other than bones. I give the freeze died orijen treats. Currently the black Angus beef
Then no other items/ingredients are involved except for the Fromms? No cheese or yogurt or oils or anything added to food?

Chicken items (even fat), flax, yeast or potatoes are the usual's for sensitivities and most of the Fromms products contain 1 or 2 of them.

Personally, I would not feed a Diamond Manufactured product like TOTW. Quality ingredients and manufacturing practices/cleanliness are lacking. HUGE recall of MANY items they manufacture a few years ago. That is why I recommended the ACANA.

Also, the ACANA SINGLES only contain 1 protein, so if there is itching, feeding one of them for about 8-10 weeks, then slowly adding in one other ingredient (or one of the other Acana "Singles") at a time would give you better indication of sensitivities instead of going into another food with various proteins.

Moms
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Then no other items/ingredients are involved except for the Fromms? No cheese or yogurt or oils or anything added to food?

Chicken items (even fat), flax, yeast or potatoes are the usual's for sensitivities and most of the Fromms products contain 1 or 2 of them.

Personally, I would not feed a Diamond Manufactured product like TOTW. Quality ingredients and manufacturing practices/cleanliness are lacking. HUGE recall of MANY items they manufacture a few years ago. That is why I recommended the ACANA.

Also, the ACANA SINGLES only contain 1 protein, so if there is itching, feeding one of them for about 8-10 weeks, then slowly adding in one other ingredient (or one of the other Acana "Singles") at a time would give you better indication of sensitivities instead of going into another food with various proteins.

Moms
Yep, that's why Fromm didn't work for my pup.
With Acana singles, only 50% of the protein is meat based. My mentor feeds that and her GSD is too skinny.

Lexi, at 6 months you can feed your pup adult or all life stages food per my vet. I have to avoid ingredients Moms mentioned as well. Look at Victor kibble. My pup did well on it, so do many other gsd's on this forum.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 02:43 AM

I feed my four month old TOTW, High Prairie puppy formula.

He too was always itching and having loose poopie. After giving him this food, all is better. He looooves his food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page