German Shepherds Forum banner

Trying to find the best kibble....

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  karladupler 
#1 ·
So far I know I would LOVE to buy Orijin for my Duke or switch him to raw diet....unfortunately I do not have that kind of budget right now :crying: So by today or tomorrow I have to buy his food and I haven't decided what to buy him... he's...a really active dog to be honest and he's only 2 years old....so what do you feed to your doggies? I am in-between Taste of the Wild High Pairie dry food or Wellness....any people feeding their pets with this brands? :smile2: What's your experience!? 0:)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
You're the best! Hahaha still a little bit pricey but! I feel is going to last more than the food I give him now....i feed him 4 cups and i was reading the feeding proportions...and for active is 3 and a half i think cups...(the image is really small i can't read it clearly lol) and I love the ingredients...I think I'm going with Acana yes :grin2: thank you for the information!

#5 · (Edited)
If money is tight and you're comfortable feeding Diamond, then I would just go with Costco's Kirkland or Diamond Naturals (at most petfood retailers) or Tractor Supply's 4Health (they're all essentially the same food repackaged under different labels--the differences are trivial enough to view the foods as interchangeable, I think). That's at least $10 bag cheaper than TOW, with pretty close ingredients, from the same manufacturer. There are small improvements in TOW, but not enough to justify the price difference IMHO between TOW and Diamond Naturals for a food made in the same plant with very similar ingredients. You *must* monitor recalls and internet rumblings calling for recalls, and save your bag date codes, if you feed Diamond-made products--and know their history so that you are an informed consumer. That will get you into the $30 per 40/lb bag range.

The next step up would be to Victor. It's about the same prices as TOW. It's only slightly more expensive than Diamond foods, getting into the $40-ish range. It's made in Texas in a plant with no recalls. You may have to look on their website for a local retailer or order online -- it's usually sold at small independent retailers, or feed stores.

If you can go up to about $50-ish per 30 lb. bag, you can feed Fromm's 4-Star Line (with grains). It's a significant step up, to a family-owned company that has never had a kibble recall (one small canned food recall), and that owns their own plant in Wisconsin. Many dogs do very well on it, and it's designed to rotate flavors (fish this bag, duck the next, and chicken after that, etc.). It's only sold at small independent retailers, or online (no big box stores).

If you have a local independent pet food retailer, they may carry Grandma Mae's Country Naturals. It's in the $50 range, and has a very good reputation. It's made expressly for small, independent retailers (the idea is to put the money into the quality of the ingredients, and let the stores handle the marketing, so that the customer isn't paying for splashy marketing and the price can be lower).

In L.A., you might pop in any of the Centinela Feed stores around the Southland to browse and chat. I was always very pleased with those stores, when I had them nearby.

#6 · (Edited)
If money is tight and you're comfortable feeding Diamond, then I would just go with Costco's Kirkland or Diamond Naturals (at most petfood retailers) or Tractor Supply's 4Health (they're all essentially the same food repackaged under different labels--the differences are trivial enough to view the foods as interchangeable, I think). That's at least $10 bag cheaper than TOW, with pretty close ingredients, from the same manufacturer. There are small improvements in TOW, but not enough to justify the price difference IMHO between TOW and Diamond Naturals for a food made in the same plant with very similar ingredients. You *must* monitor recalls and internet rumblings calling for recalls, and save your bag date codes, if you feed Diamond-made products--and know their history so that you are an informed consumer. That will get you into the $30 per 40/lb bag range.

The next step up would be to Victor. It's about the same prices as TOW. It's only slightly more expensive than Diamond foods, getting into the $40-ish range. It's made in Texas in a plant with no recalls. You may have to look on their website for a local retailer or order online -- it's usually sold at small independent retailers, or feed stores.

If you can go up to about $50-ish/bag, you can feed Fromm's 4-Star Line (with grains). It's a significant step up, to a family-owned company that has never had a kibble recall (one small canned food recall), and that owns their own plant in Wisconsin. Many dogs do very well on it, and it's designed to rotate flavors (fish this bag, duck the next, and chicken after that, etc.). It's only sold at small independent retailers, or online (no big box stores).

If you have a local independent pet food retailer, they may carry Grandma Mae's Country Naturals. It's in the $50 range, and has a very good reputation. It's made expressly for small, independent retailers (the idea is to put the money into the quality of the ingredients, and let the stores handle the marketing, so that the customer isn't paying for splashy marketing and the price can be lower).
That's a very good point....going to Local Independent pet food....right now I just order Arcana cause my dog needs the food by Monday I would say lol I will see how he does with Acana if it doesn't work I will totally do my research on independent food retailer...I like Centinela too! And a lot people keep telling me to get Lotus I believe Centinela are the only ones that carry that brand here....have you tried that brand? Or heard about it?

#18 ·
Well I did Acana so far he LOVES IT, I catch him TWICE trying to open the food container (no he doesn't starve, i feed him properly) and is just a matter of time to see how his body likes this food too :) thank you everyone for the advice! :D Just look at that face when is feeding time....He love it so much that he just give a lot of eye contact so he can eat it asap

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.