German Shepherds Forum banner

What is so special about puppy diets?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  chopjaw 
#1 ·
What is so special about puppy diets? Does your puppy absolutely need puppy food? Many brands of commercial dog food recommend feeding a puppy diet for 6-12 months to start them off right. What is different about puppy food?

There is actually nothing drastically different in puppy food from the adult version. The size of the kibble is usually smaller, so the puppy can get their teeth around the kibble, and there is a bit more protein for the growing bodies and Puppy food also contains a high fat content for energy. Is that extra protein and smaller bites absolutely necessary for the development of strong bodies and healthy coats, or is it deemed necessary because it costs more?? I think it is a great marketing idea to get puppy owners pay a little more for their food for or 4-12 months.

Dont fall for Marketing ploys. They are really good for pulling at your heart-strings. If you want to spend the extra money then try adding a variety of ingredients to ensure that it gets enough of everything it needs to stay healthy. Just giving a puppy an extra piece of chicken, oils , and some veggies in addition to the “regular adult food” will supply healthier nutrients then any form of puppy food would offer.

Just my .02

See less See more
#2 ·
Most large breed puppy foods are actually LOWER in protein and calcium than their adult counterparts to control growth and are balanced in calcium and phosphorus as puppies cannot manage excesses of calcium (often present in lower quality meat meals) that older dogs with more developed kidneys can.

Many good puppy foods also have a variety of protein sources to help prevent allergies or are designed for rotation feeding.

We have a whole forum section on feeding your puppy and some good sticky notes about selecting a puppy food.

#3 ·
As far as the kibble being smaller... Guess it depends on what puppy food you buy.. I just picked up a bag of science diet large breed puppy and the kibble is pretty huge compared to any other kibble I've seen (larger than adult dog food kibble) not sure whats so special about it but I plan to take my puppy off puppy food at 5 months of age

#4 ·
Here is something else that I have done in the past. Try if you like.

If you want to feed your puppy the best and save some money, try this.

• Carrots, Peas, Green beans, Squash, Yams, Zucchini, Celery, Romaine, Parsley, – Steamed
• Filler is Rice (White & Brown) – Cooked
• Meat= *** Cook before giving to puppy ***
o Chicken, Breast and Thigh – Baked
o Beef – Stew meat and Fat trimmings baked. Do not drain
o Lamb – Get at butcher
o Turkey –
o Venison –
o Fish – White fish or Salmon.
• Oils – choose what you think works best for coat and energy (after your research.)
• Special Nutrient Mix **Keep below 5% ** = kelp, sea salt, inulin, zinc, copper and iron amino acid chelates, vitamin E – Coconut water.

Cook the meat, do not drain the fat and add everything into the blender. Add water to the consistence that you like. At this point you can either add more filler to make it like wet dirt or more water. Put in container to store. I guarantee that your dog will love it! BUT Be Warned, once you do this they will always expect it...:)

The best thing about what you’re doing, you have just saved money and made a better food than what you can buy.

#5 ·
The diet you're describing isn't a balanced diet and not one I would give to a growing puppy. If you're going to feed a home made diet you have to be very careful to make sure it contains everything the dog needs. The diet you're describing has no calcium, which is extremely important, and I see no offal.

There are many commercial diets that have all the nutrients a puppy needs, why not feed that, and complement it with some of the fresh foods you mentioned?

Or if you don't want to feed a commercial diet, get some recipes that contain everything in the right proportions (Look for recipes from Lew Olsen and Monika Segal among others).

My dogs, puppies included, eat a well balanced raw diet consisting of different cuts of raw meats, edible bones, and organ meats. No fillers, because fillers are just.... fillers. Some people like to feed vegetables, we don't other than as an occasional treat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.