German Shepherds Forum banner

changing proteins or brands

751 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  NancyJ 
#1 ·
Should we be changing our puppy's protein source or brand of food? Ive been told we should change his food regularly but im not sure what they were referring to. Please help. Here is my young kato Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

See less See more
#2 ·
I see you are new! WELCOME!!! :greet:

Kato is a beautiful little boy!

Yes, it is a good idea for varied nutrition values...ie....beef, fish, lamb, etc., and different grains or vegetables. I would stay within the same brand so as not to cause gut upset.

BUT....if the pup has a sensitive gut, you must go about the switch slowly.
Start with 1/4th cup for one meal and watch stool. Increase as you see there isn't a bowel upset. If loose stool occurs, go back to previous amount fed where stool was firm, and hold there until stool firms up and then try increasing again. This is called bowel tolerance.

Moms:)

#3 ·
Not so sure what is necessary when one brand has multiple protein sources in one formula (Victor, Fromm) -- Actually I like to mix up brands some but it is hard to find something that works so I hesitate to change too much. My longest lived dogs went for years on the same food (the original Nutro from the 1980s-those dogs lived to 15 and 14)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.