Food Questions Please Help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Food Questions Please Help!

Okay, Commander is officially being put in the picky eater list. *trumpet fanfare and drumroll as his name is written on an endless scroll*

About a week ago we started transitioning him from Blue Buffalo Freedom LBP to Fromm Gold LBP and he seemed to LOVE it. He actually started leaving the BB in the bowl and would only eat the Fromm out.

Great! Found a new food.
WRONG.

He is now refusing to eat it. Went almost 24 hours without touching his food. At night he gets a scoop of pumpkin mixed into his food and even that didn't get him to eat.

This morning I got him to eat a small piece of ham, a treat and a 1/4 cup of pumpkin to wet his palette, to which he then refused the kibble after being offered a fresh bowl.

** according to my husband Commander had a hard time pooping this morning, made a couple of bits then would walk around to a new spot and poop some more. I attributed this to not really having a whole lot to push out because he hasn't eaten. **

Should I be taking the large bag we just bought back to try something else?
He also tried the Fromm Praire Gold LBP (beef one, it was a trail sized bag) and seemed to like it, should we try that one?
I'm at a loss, my white flag is waving guys, help me out.
CDR Shep Mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oh, and he is his happy normal self, wants to play and has been drinking water.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Does he just refuse kibble but will eat something else? Is his energy still good? Drinking water?

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Lady Athena (BB)-2011-2012 (RIP baby girl)
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
Does he just refuse kibble but will eat something else? Is his energy still good? Drinking water?
Yes, he'll eat other things. My god when my husband told me he hadn't eaten I was ready to run to the e vet fearing the worst!
But he'll eat treats and just the plain pumpkin, my husband just fixed him up with some eggs and he ate that and his water intake is the same, sloppy wet mess and loving it. All the energy in the world!
Old 07-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

'Pumpkin and eggs'? Dogs learn to hold out when they sense something better will be offered. It sounds like you have high quality food, dense, high protein, meat.

I would try a few, but one or more should end up being fine. The dog should get accustomed, once you quit putting pumpkin and eggs on it. We have used a bit of canned pumpkin in the past to help with a constipation issue.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR Shep Mama View Post
Yes, he'll eat other things. My god when my husband told me he hadn't eaten I was ready to run to the e vet fearing the worst!
But he'll eat treats and just the plain pumpkin, my husband just fixed him up with some eggs and he ate that and his water intake is the same, sloppy wet mess and loving it. All the energy in the world!
I am sorry it took me so long to see this I suspect you have tried something by now.. how is he doing?

If it were me I would have tried another food. Titan was VERY picky as a youngster.. after 6 days of no food, out of refusal by him. I gave in a tried another food. And we kept at it until we found one he truly liked. If he liked the Fromm I would go with that and not worry about it.

Whitney
and
Old 07-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
'Pumpkin and eggs'? Dogs learn to hold out when they sense something better will be offered. It sounds like you have high quality food, dense, high protein, meat.

I would try a few, but one or more should end up being fine. The dog should get accustomed, once you quit putting pumpkin and eggs on it. We have used a bit of canned pumpkin in the past to help with a constipation issue.
That was the problem, not even the pumpkin was getting him to eat, and he doesn't hold out for eggs or any other topper, he will typically eat but I understand the concern since dogs are smart enough to know something better might come along so I appreciate your post.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
I am sorry it took me so long to see this I suspect you have tried something by now.. how is he doing?

If it were me I would have tried another food. Titan was VERY picky as a youngster.. after 6 days of no food, out of refusal by him. I gave in a tried another food. And we kept at it until we found one he truly liked. If he liked the Fromm I would go with that and not worry about it.
So a day or two after I posted this Commander Ate in the morning then threw up and had a loose stool. I immediately put him on chicken and rice (mixed with pumpkin) for the rest of the day, then slowly started adding back in kibble over the next two days. Now he's eating the Fromm and has passed regular stools.

I'm thinking he came down with a bug or ate something he shouldn't have which made his stomach hurt. Thank god he's back to his old goofy self and eating great now!

My only explanation is he was avoiding food not because he didn't like it but because he just didn't want to eat.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one in the picky eater boat though, we had to switch the BB formula twice because they had changed the recipe and he decided he didn't like that, which is why we moved to Fromm, I'm tired of switching foods!

Last edited by CDR Shep Mama; 07-07-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I totally get it!! Titan was sooooo hard to find food for.. even with raw he was picky.. no poultry whatsoever.. ugh. LOL. you will find the perfect one. And something I learned.. don't be ashamed or annoyed when adding things to get him to eat.. I figure I would rather him eat with little mix ins than not eat at all.

Whitney
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.