What to feed puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2014, 03:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to feed puppy

I'm a bit confused by the vast amount of foods available and how to work out what is best for our puppy.

He is coming up to 13 weeks and was feeding on Devoted dry food which was a locally sourced food. There was no mention of the meat content % on the packet, so I'm struggling to compare it apart from the nutrients.

We then slowly introduced Wagg Puppy Mix, which has 15% meat content and the nutrients are not far off the more premium food. It also has no added sugar and colours etc.

His stools are fairly soft though at times and a light colour. Sometimes they are hard but sometimes they are softish, not runny but softer. His stools to me are fairly large but then he is already fairly big, so perhaps this is normal.

Without sounding mean, I don't want to feed him food that costs a small fortune....50 for 15KG seems far too much. I know that you can feed them less, but whenever I read the packets the measurements are the same as the cheap stuff, so not sure how this works?

The Wagg Puppy is cheap but online particularly on Amazon it has really good reviews. I'm just worried we should be feeding him something better. I'm worried as well that it may be making him hyper. He has a burst every morning where he just bites me for no reason, its kind of play fighting but hurts and just worried the food is having an affect....or maybe it is just his 'burst' befoe he conks himself out.

Any feedback appreciated. I want a good value food which is good for the dog and not excessively expensive.
robrymond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 07:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I used Fromm and Orijen LBP
Old 09-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hi robrymond! I see you are a new member....WELCOME!

Your kibbles first ingredient is "Cereal" which are carbohydrates. You want to see a NAMED meat or a NAMED meat meal for the first ingredient. Also is says "meat" ..... it doesn't tell you WHAT the meat is.....which is questionable. Ingredients should always be named.

Here is a site of what is available in the UK. The Dog Food Directory - now listing dog foods!

This one explains dog food ingredients and then gives you a list. UK Pet foods - review of ingredients used in UK pet foods

I hope it helps!

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks. So basically avoid any with cereal in them at all? I thought even the top brands have a bit of this in them? Thanks for the links, will have a read.

It is such a minefield with such a vast amount of stuff on the shelves. At the end of the day we don't eat organic food/premium food, so the dog won't be eating stuff that costs more than our own food, no matter how harsh that sounds!
Old 09-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrymond View Post
Thanks. So basically avoid any with cereal in them at all? I thought even the top brands have a bit of this in them? Thanks for the links, will have a read.

It is such a minefield with such a vast amount of stuff on the shelves. At the end of the day we don't eat organic food/premium food, so the dog won't be eating stuff that costs more than our own food, no matter how harsh that sounds!
Some dogs do fine on cereal/grains, some don't.
But the important thing is to see that a Named meat (such as chicken, beef lamb, etc) is listed as the first ingredient. You know the old saying "You are what you eat".....same applies to our pets!

Hope you find something that will fit your Fur Baby's health and your budget (we all have them!).
Moms
Old 09-25-2014, 05:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ok thanks, first ingredients on the list mean there is the most of that ingredient in the mix I'm guessing? Time to go to the shops and inspect each bag!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrymond View Post
Ok thanks, first ingredients on the list mean there is the most of that ingredient in the mix I'm guessing? Time to go to the shops and inspect each bag!
Good for the label inspection! I hope that site gave you some ideas on what to look for and what to avoid like "Animal Fat" & "Ethoxiquin / BHA / BHT " and the term "EC permitted additives".
Also note that "Chicken MEAL" has a higher content of protein (which a dog needs) than just plain "Chicken" when listed.

Remember to always wean your dog slowly on to a new food, by mixing a small amount of the new food with the rest of the portion of old food. Use 1/4th cup (32 grams) of new food mixed with remaining old food. Try this for one meal and watch your dogs stool to see if it starts to get loose. GSD's are notorious for gut upsets when introducing a new food. If the stool does get loose, back off a little on the amount of new food you gave and keep him on that for a few days until his tummy adjusts. Then begin to increase again. Take your time switching by adding a little more new food every two days or so depending on the dog's reaction.

Let us know how he does!

Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 09-25-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.