Can't Find a Food that Works - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can't Find a Food that Works

Hi there, super new I'm from another dog forum and I've been having constant problems with my girl not being able to tolerate any food I give her. They recommended I at least try and ask if any of you have any suggestions.

She's a 9month old GSD Border Collie mix.

Foods she's tried:

In the beginning I had her on (this will be painful because I can't remember the food names, but when I go home at lunch I'll let you know) a chicken based high protein puppy food for large developing puppies.
She had constant soft stools and it progressed to full blown diarrhea and her first bout of colitis.

I tried a 3 fish based food that was grain free, and for all life stages, this took her from bad to worse.

We got the safe-food of Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Moderate to Low Calorie. But it's $90 per 20 pound bag, and is really not super healthy for the price tag. This has been the only food I can use and often switch back to it to settle her before trying a new bag.

My vet recently prescribed me diarrhea meds to help me while I find a new food, I have about 6-10 left.

She was tried on Precise Lamb meal (can't remember if it's grain free or not) seniors diet. This worked well for the entire first bag. Her stool was semi-soft, but seemed to be in good condition. Until I moved to the same brand, but the second bag. She had diarrhea, and problems and is now back on her Royal Canin.

For the last 30 days she's been on a Flora Plus+ probiotic supplement, just for general health as she happens to be constantly on the edge of sickliness (mange, colitis, etc.).

<End>

It seems to be that the lower calorie, less rich protein foods work better for her.
Except I don't know what to try next. It's not like any pet food place lets you return a food after you use it for a few weeks trying to transition.
I have a Pet Valu in my town, and a nutritionist who sells food solely based out of Saskatchewan, or foods that haven't been outsourced. He's where I've been going, but given none of his foods seem to be sticking.

So any suggestions? At all...
KdawnK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would test her for EPI or IBD.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with Michelle, start with that and hopefully you can start getting answers

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Try Natural Balance synergy. That worked on my moms dog who had colitis. Its not grain free but has grains that can help
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes, talk to your vet about EPI - here is some info EPI in Snapshots - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

I have an EPI GSD and a non EPI GSD, they are both feed grain free kibble in the mornings and raw (no dry food) in the evenings.

Couple weeks ago I stopped giving the grain free kibble to my EPI GSD, he gets raw in the mornings and evenings and the change is amazing, within days his gut issues cleared up and he seems more fulfilled.

Just something to think about, maybe ditch the dry kibble and look at either a raw diet or home cooked diet.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'd prefer if at all possible to stick with a dry or kibble diet with maybe supplements.

So if my dog were to be EPI is this going to be a super expensive life haha?
Can I not just feed my dog as if she is an EPI, regardless?
What I read in your link is grain free, with low fibre food. I mean I need to start her on something.

I'll call my vet about it soon and see when I can make an appointment, but regardless I'd be getting a new food soon.
KdawnK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Didn't think I'd ever recommend Purina, but check out this older thread, several people have used it with their dogs.

Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach and Sensitive Skin
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 11:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It seems to be a common problem with gsds. My dog did really well on one food for a while, then couldn't tolerate it. After several bouts of diarrhea, my vet put him on Science Diet Prescription i/d to rest his gut. It's working amazing well. Then we'll introduce limited foods gradually. I'm going to try Fromm.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

we are using Taste of the Wild with Bison /grain free ---- we were using blue buffalo lamb and rice with no issues other than Roxy seemed to get bored with it...besides the fact it looks more like cat size kibble....she seems to like the bigger stuff.
lyssa62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 03:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I agree with checking for the issues Jax mentioned first.

Mine is very similar. Really doesn't do well on pretty much any dry food. The only one he really does reliably alright on is Acana. Mine does best on raw. Actual solid stool and no stomach upset. But dry vs. raw will depend on what you are comfortable feeding.

We did try Honest Kitchen recently and it agreed very well with Kaiju. It's a little different than a dry food and may be something to try out.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.