Should I take food away? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I take food away?

So, I'm not due to get my pup till November but just trying to do as much research about as much as possible so I am fully prepared when he or she comes.

I have been reading about feeding and don't think I have found this anywhere.

I have heard that its good practice to every now and then take your dogs food away whilst it is eating. Apparently to show who the boss is, and then let the dog have the food back again. Can anyone shed some light on how true this is? To me it seems quite mean to the dog?
Unforgiving is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Nope, don't take the food away, don't stick your hand in the food bowl or any of a number of other theories. That can easily create a food problem.

What you can do is toss good stuff in the bowl while he is eating. Good things come when you are close by.

If you are concerned about being able to remove things from his mouth, play a trade up game. Teach the command 'out'.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

No. Taking food away isn't going to show your puppy who's boss, but it might create resource guarding issues.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I hate this show-them-who's-the-boss crap. One trainer around here actually advocates holding the dog down to do the same thing. There was a couple in Xerxes' puppy class that had a german short-hair that was extremely shy that this other trainer had done that to this poor shy dog. ( The trainer in my puppy class does not do this.) The couple was very upset by this and left the class. My puppy class trainer doesn't do this. This dog was a lot more social after just being around other dogs in my puppy class and no one held the poor thing down. Where do they get these stupid ideas?
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cool guys, thanks so much for the quick response. It came from one of the old school handlers at work. They used to teach by discipline ie punish if get it wrong. Im talking used to because he has been a handler for 14 years. Now they teach by positive re-inforcement ie treats, which he said is easier, but can make the dogs softer?

Anywho, getting off topic, thanks for the advice.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

What do you want your dog for? Protection? a pet? What's wrong with them being "softer" as you put it? I would call it being more social. I'd rather have a social dog that gets along with other dogs and people. If that's softer, so be it.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A better way is to walk by his bowl while he is eating and drop something even better in there. That way he knows that not only will you not take his food away once you give it to him, but wonderful things come from you if you approach his bowl.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
A better way is to walk by his bowl while he is eating and drop something even better in there. That way he knows that not only will you not take his food away once you give it to him, but wonderful things come from you if you approach his bowl.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitta View Post
What do you want your dog for? Protection? a pet? What's wrong with them being "softer" as you put it? I would call it being more social. I'd rather have a social dog that gets along with other dogs and people. If that's softer, so be it.
I don't mind the dogs being soft, I think by soft he just meant they find it harder to train the bite. Personally as a pet it obviously doesnt matter, I think they just are of that different train of thought.

I definatly won't be taking food off them
Old 08-07-2014, 03:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

I read somewhere that you should move your dog's bowl around whule it's eating to prevent him from becoming food-aggressive. However I wouldn't take it away. Some dogs, like mine, tend to lose appetite easily and by taking it away you might just ruin his mood to eat.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Alice13 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.