Affordable Treats: - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Affordable Treats:

I have a female GSD at 1 year old and weighing in about 55lbs. She loves to chew on treats and puzzle toys to keep herself busy. The problem is that she is such a strong chewer that nothing lasts more than a day or so before she has it all chewed up.

I get her Bully Sticks that are braided in 9inches and she can chew through the whole thing in 20 minutes... at $25/pack, this stuff is starting to add up. Can anyone help me find a more affordable alternative?

Thank you.
z4t888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

My boy loves the starmark everlasting treat ball with the treat discs. He also loves elk antlers. Make sure you get good quality not just from petstore they are over priced and bad quality. She will NOT chew threw that in a day.

I get mine from https://www.facebook.com/MTAntlerChews just send her a PM to order and pm for the product list and prices. They are priced great and are worth it. Chief also loves raw knuckle bones

Chief-GSD
frillint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frillint1 View Post
My boy loves the starmark everlasting treat ball with the treat discs. He also loves elk antlers. Make sure you get good quality not just from petstore they are over priced and bad quality. She will NOT chew threw that in a day.

I get mine from https://www.facebook.com/MTAntlerChews just send her a PM to order and pm for the product list and prices. They are priced great and are worth it. Chief also loves raw knuckle bones
Thanks for the reply! I have tried a Starmark treat ball with disks, she is able to chew it down and pop it out of the rubber holding it. I also tried antlers, although from Petsmart, she chewed the marrow then won't touch it after.

I have not tried a raw knuckle bone though... may have to look into that.

**Just looked at those antlers and wow... they are huge!** I will be sure to check em out.

Last edited by z4t888; 07-21-2014 at 09:29 PM.
z4t888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Since she likes puzzle toys, she may enjoy a kong - the black extreme one for tough chewers. It can be packed with all kinds of inexpensive treats or things you make yourself.There are tips and recipes on the kong website The Best Durable Dog and Cat Toys & Treats from the KONG Company
Old 07-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Nylabones are the only things that work for us. Himalayan chews are awesome but a big dog can crunch through them pretty fast and they are pricey. Marrow bones break teeth and too much marrow = the runs. Anything else my dogs devour in minutes (bully sticks, elk antlers....).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I use deer antlers and marrow bones. I get the marrow bones that are hollow inside. They do come with beef or peanut butter filled as well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mydogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Chicken feet they don't last long but my dogs live them real cheap
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

I know a lot of people on here feed raw chicken feet. I picked up a bag of dried (dehyradrated) chicken feet ( on sale at doggyloot. I was wondering if they are ok to give to a 3 month old puppy. I got them for the glucosmine content. Anyone have an opinion? I not so much worried about her puppy teeth as I am her stomach. GSD puppies often have issues with the guts until they are older.
MonsterMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would be more worried about feeding dried bones

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Jax, ya that is why I held off. I got them with the idea that dried is not cooked its just with the moisture taken out, but after getting them I was like man these things hard and dry. So I have not given her one yet. I asked the vet and they had no clue, they never heard of anyone giving dogs chicken feet before.
MonsterMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.