German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   HOW and WHEN to switch Puppy to 2 meals a day? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/469570-how-when-switch-puppy-2-meals-day.html)

woogyboogy 07-11-2014 12:05 PM

HOW and WHEN to switch Puppy to 2 meals a day?

So our boy Loki will be 6 months on the 16th, in 5 days, and we were wondering when to switch him from eating 3 meals a day, to 2 meals a day?

Currently we feed him 1 cup at 7am, 12:30pm, and 5:30pm, so 3 cups per day. But we would like to switch to just 2 times a day if that is normal?

Also, how do we go about skipping his lunch meal? Do we feed him a little bit at 12:30 and then slowly throughout a week or two just stop feeding him lunch all together?

Another thing, as soon as your pour the food into his bowl, he will literally inhale all of it within less than 2 minutes. He has always been a hungry boy even when we got him at 8 weeks.

Thanks everyone!

Jax08 07-11-2014 12:17 PM

How is his weight? He's 5 months? You can switch him anytime I think. I just stopped Seger's. Didn't wean him at all.

woogyboogy 07-11-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 5762114)
How is his weight? He's 5 months? You can switch him anytime I think. I just stopped Seger's. Didn't wean him at all.

He will be 6 months on the 16th of July, and he is about 60-65lbs.

He loves to eat, if he's outside and won't come in, all you have to say is "Do you wanna eat?" and he will sprint to the front door haha

Cassidy's Mom 07-11-2014 01:10 PM

Dena and Keefer were actually on two meals a day at 9 weeks old, which is when we got each of them. But I took the first week off work to stay home with them, and then took long lunches to come home mid-day and we went through lots of little training treats so they did get something even if it wasn't an actual meal.

Halo was 10 weeks old when we got her but she was much smaller than D & K, and still used to 3 meals a day, so I kept her on that schedule for a month or two after that. She got tons of training treats too, I used part or all of her lunch kibble for training. She was on 2 meals a day well before the age of your puppy.

brightspot 07-11-2014 01:17 PM

My dog is a "hoover hound", too. I scatter his meals on the floor or put it in puzzle balls. It slows him down. You can buy special bowls or just put something (like a soup can) in his current bowl.

Jax08 07-11-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woogyboogy (Post 5762322)
He will be 6 months on the 16th of July, and he is about 60-65lbs.

That's a big boy. How is his body condition? Can you see ribs?

qbchottu 07-11-2014 01:22 PM

I switch to 2x at 8w

sehrgutcsg 07-11-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qbchottu (Post 5762522)
I switch to 2x at 8w

In my opinion that is too young.

I switched at about 5 months. It keeps the meals smaller. Now, I free feed dry only and refill at breakfast and dinner times. Isabella 6.5 months GSD and Nelson JRT going on 8 years in November. Nelson gained too much weight with Isabella eating home cooked 3 times a day, now he is getting thinner..

SGCSG

qbchottu 07-11-2014 01:33 PM

I have weaned many a litter to twice a day by 8-10w. It's up the each family if they wish to do 3x or 2x a day. Not all people have the convenience of doing multiple feedings a day.

qbchottu 07-11-2014 01:36 PM

Also most pet homes tend to over feed their puppies - thinking that feeding multiple times or more food will do the puppy better. Pups should be alert, lean with a good layer of fat, shiny with bright eyes, skin clear, ears not red, gums pink, no leaky eyes, able to play and move easily - I go by these standards. Twice a day is just fine if fed good quality food in proper portions. Large breed pups do just fine with two feedings a day by the time they go home. These are not Chi's! :)

Also keep in mind - I recommend and do training sessions that use food as a reward. Pups also enjoy bully sticks, raw knuckles, sheep heads, rib bones as teething treats - they work and earn their extras. Believe me this works better for me than feeding them out of a pan for 3 to 4 meals per day. Mind, jaws, body - all worked in a more stimulating way than out of a bowl.