Puppy's got the runs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2014, 05:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy's got the runs

So little man started making a racket at 4:30 this morning sounding like his hyena impression again. It's nothing new and he will do it when he is crated and doesn't want to be or within an hour of first going to bed. He's almost 9 weeks old and I've had him for 5 days. The entire time I've had him he hasn't had a single accident in his crate, house or car. Ever since I put my Ipad near his crate playing talk radios at night, he's slept through the night with minimal waking up or howling. Tonight when he woke up he continued on for 45 minutes. I stayed strong and waited for him to be quiet for 5 minutes before I gave him attention and let him out. Opened the door, picked him up, took him outside and he had, well, explosive runs. He doesn't have any indication that his belly hurts or that he doesn't feel well. I feel HORRIBLE for not taking him out sooner.
I've heard plain pumpkin for diarrhea, a 24 hour fast with plenty of water or a bland diet. I switched him from purina one LB puppy (that the breeder had him on, yuck) to the evolutionary Blue buffalo wilderness LB puppy. I thought I had taken the transition slow, but I started it a day after I got him, vet said it was fine, but when I read about it, stress can cause tummy aches. What is the best way to go about it for an 8 week old?
sarahp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 05:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

If his poop is not stinky, it means that it is not a bacterial infection, but his liver is not strong enough to digest heavy meals. I'd push 2-3 garlic cloves to sterilize his guts just in case. Your puppy has reaction to dog food, he might have reaction to any artificial dog food. The trouble is that virtually no dog food producer can copy what canines eat in nature. Up to 4 months old the puppy receives what his parent regurgitates for him - half digested food. Up to one year young dogs do not catch large prey themselves, they prey mainly on small rodents. Even in the adult wolf, wolves mainly eat birds, mice and rabbits, not heavy stuff like wild boar, deer or lamb. Your pup's liver is too weak to work on beef or whatever this dog food has in it. At this age feed him cottage cheese, goats milk, raw chicken breast with rice and carrots, raw rabbit fillet meat and green beans, cooked fish with oats on the daily basis, and raw beef mince with pumpkin - 200 gramms once a week only. The sooner tou switch onto naturals - the quicker your problem would be solved.
Of course, you can look for cheaper than Buy Ardeng Rabbit Meat, because some suppliers provide it specifically for dogs.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taggart View Post
If his poop is not stinky, it means that it is not a bacterial infection, but his liver is not strong enough to digest heavy meals. I'd push 2-3 garlic cloves to sterilize his guts just in case.
Oh it's definitely stinky. He had an accident in his crate and the smell woke me up. He doesn't act sick at all though, not lethargic, eating and drinking normally, sleeping normal and playing like usual.
I've heard garlic and onion aren't good for dogs, is that just something I've heard? I could also not be remembering it right. My goal was switching to raw a few months down the road when I can get more info and figure out everything correctly so that I'm keeping him balanced every week. I've heard so many differing opinions on what to feed, add supplements or not, add fruits and veggies or not. I guess it's what ever works for the specific animal? So stick with the lighter meats, right? Should I go ahead and try it this morning? If I give him veggies those are raw too, correct? I've done a lot of research on the topic but I'm worried I will mess it up. Thanks for the input!
sarahp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hi Sarahp and congrats on the new pup!

Couple of things could have gone wrong.
*A HUGE change for him leaving his litter-mates and mom can cause stress upset.
*Changing foods for dogs/pups can take from a few days to several weeks. ALL dogs' are different. You need to start out by feeding maybe a Tablespoon of new kibble mixed with old kibble for one meal and then watch stool. If no loose stool after one or two days, increase the amount of new kibble slowly watching every bowel movement to make sure the new food is agreeing with him, and so on.
*Some dogs do not do well on BB.
Pups should not be fasted for 24 hours....only 12 at the most if necessary.
Try a mixture of Boneless, Skinless, Boiled Chicken Breast cooled and shredded with equal amount of canned pumpkin (NO spices). Some people use rice instead of the pumpkin for this or you could do a combo. Feed several small meals during the day, making sure that the diarrhea is subsiding after the first or second feeding. He may need to stay on this for several days or a week.
Once his stool is normal, you can SLOWLY try to introduce the BB again, BUT if you see loose stool again, he is not tolerating the BB so you'll have to go to plan B dog food. You may want to look at Nature's Variety (Not Nature's RECIPE) sold at Petsmart or Fromm's, sold at doggie boutiques.
Nature's Variety Locations: Find A Store | Nature's Variety
Fromm's Locations: Fromm USA Retailers IMHO - use a non-grain food.

I've been feeding raw for 20 years but realized long ago that most people cannot feed raw. So my suggestion for now (until you decide about a raw diet) would be to use a high quality kibble, add digestive enzymes/pro-biotics and a good quality "named" fish oil. But for now, concentrate on the situation at hand.

Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 07-09-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would not be giving the puppy something "different" at this time with an attack of diarhea, like raw/veggies, etc.

Sometimes BB doesn't agree with puppies/dogs, so I would suspect, if he's healthy otherwise, the food is not agreeing with him. It may be to rich for him.

With that, I would either fast him, but make sure he has plenty of water..OR,,cook up some chicken/rice, feed him a small portion later in the day.

How long has he been on the BB?? While you may not like the previous food, I'm one for whatever works for the dog.

I'm going to pm you as well

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You say you have had him for five days. Have you taken him for his checkup? I would have him vet checked, just in case.

If your goal was switching to raw anyway, I would do that right now. The best way to switch to raw is cold turkey, no pun intended.

Here is our experience:

Video of my 8 week old and funny raw story
Old 07-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

and PLEASE do not shove garlic cloves down your puppies throat Bad advice.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Here are some high quality Human Grade products you may want to look at when you have time. I rotate with all of these.

Sunday Sundae (Digestive Enzyme & Pro-Biotic Combo): Sunday Sundae Nutritional Supplement
OR
Digest All Plus (Digestive Enzyme & Pro-Biotic Combo): The Wholistic Pet

Sh-emp Oil: SH-EMP OIL Nutritional oil
OR
Salmon Oil: The Wholistic Pet

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

And Feedsentials !

Feed-Sentials Nutritional Supplement
Old 07-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Sarah , somehow not all GSD or dogs do well with Blue Buffalo.. mine didnt and i know some people in this forum the dog had loose stool after switching to BB.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.