German Shepherds Forum banner

Diarrhea - food switch or something serious? Please help!

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Shade 
#1 ·
Hello all!
I have a 12-week old pup (have had her since she was 9 weeks). I'm a new puppy owner and I would love some advice! We had been feeding her Fromm Gold puppy food for the first two weeks, without any issues. For the last week, we've been transitioning her to Blue Buffalo puppy food (mainly because it's easier to find in our area; the Fromm is not always available). For her 1 1/2 cup meals (twice a day), I started giving 1 cup of the Fromm, and 1/2 cup of the Blue Buffalo.
Now, for the past two days, she's having diarrhea - I'm guessing it's the food switch, but was wondering if this could be something serious? She even wakes us up at night to poo (2-3 times) - she didn't do that before. The diarrhea is not watery, it's more like pudding consistency, and seems much more frequent.
Will call the vet today, but wondering if anyone has any input on this? Does this seem normal? How do you determine whether it's an emergency, or simply the change in food?

#2 ·
Cut the BB out and see if she goes back to solid stools.

Has she been vaccinated or wormed recently? Stress can cause it as well

#5 ·
Thank you all for the responses! She had her latest vaccine about 10 days ago, and also had her stool tested for parasites/infection (all clear); but that was when she had solid stool. Will cut out the Blue Buffalo and see if that helps - just feel like I need to race her to the vet!

#8 ·
I tried switching my puppy when he was about 12 weeks. He got terrible diarrhea. I put him back on the food the breeder was giving him and he was fine. He went back to normal stools.

I told the vet. he said to wait until he was 8 to 9 months and then switch him very slowly over a 3 months time. That worked. He did fine.

#9 ·
I tried to change my dog to BB and she got very sick and stopped eating all together I had to take her to the vet $200 later I just changed her to a different food all together she would not eat BB or the food she was originally on she was about 12 weeks like your pup. I am not sure if the BB is what made her sick but be careful you may need to take her to the vet.

#11 ·
Thanks again everyone, this site is very helpful! Just fed her the Fromm with canned pumpkin for dinner, hope that helps. She LOVES the pumpkin :) Now that we've decided to keep her on the Fromm only... I was checking around to compare prices, since we may have to order online, and found that there's also a Fromm Puppy food specifically for large breed pups - does anyone know what the difference is, in the formula? Should we be feeding her the large breed formula?

#12 · (Edited)
I feed the puppy in pink bag. I like the protein/fat better. The calcium is what you need to watch but the LBP and puppy are almost similar and under 1.5%. My puppy loves pumpkin too in her food.

My puppy is 11 weeks I feed her 1 cup 3xday sometimes she will pick at one or two meals other times cleans her bowl wanting more. Which is mostly always dinner.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#20 ·
This post was super helpful! We tried transitioning Sandor to the BB and he got terrible diarrhea. We cut it out, switched to chicken and rice with pumpkin for a few days. Slowly phasing him back to the food the Breeder was using. It was comforting to read this and know we aren't the only ones who had this issue!

#21 ·
That's great news that she's feeling better :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.