German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   help puppy will not eat unless I feed him by hand !! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/464281-help-puppy-will-not-eat-unless-i-feed-him-hand.html)

gsdsd 06-25-2014 10:09 PM

help puppy will not eat unless I feed him by hand !!

Hello to everyone. Okay so at first my 7 week old puppy was eating kibble then all of a sudden he doesn't want to eat it ..When I pour the kibble in his bowl he barks at me and runs away so funny ..but if I grab some and put it in his mouth he will eat ..any help will be appreciated :)

Courtney 06-25-2014 10:13 PM

Stop the insanity:) lol

My recommendation is put the food bowl down for maybe 20-30 min if he doesn't eat pick it up, then offer again later.

Jelpy 06-25-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsd (Post 5691961)
Hello to everyone. Okay so at first my 7 week old puppy was eating kibble then all of a sudden he doesn't want to eat it ..When I pour the kibble in his bowl he barks at me and runs away so funny ..but if I grab some and put it in his mouth he will eat ..any help will be appreciated :)

I'm sorry but
:spittingcoffee:

Jelpy

gsdsd 06-25-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtney (Post 5692001)
Stop the insanity:) lol

My recommendation is put the food bowl down for maybe 20-30 min if he doesn't eat pick it up, then offer again later.

I will try that and will not feed him by hand ..he's also growing super fast ..He looks skinny and that worries me..I guess I'll talk to his vet this Saturday but thank you for your reply ..wanted some quick info before I go to his vet ...thanks

Courtney 06-25-2014 11:42 PM

I know when they don't eat it worries us, as it should. Anything to get them to eat. Feeding him by hand I don't think is the end of the world but I'm sure you don't want this to become a routine eating habit. German Shepherd pups are very smart:) Good thinking mentioning to the vet. Keep us updated.

Sunflowers 06-25-2014 11:43 PM

What are you feeding?

Find a kibble he likes.

scout172 06-25-2014 11:48 PM

My recommendation is put the food bowl down for maybe 20-30 min if he doesn't eat pick it up, then offer again later.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I waa going to say

mydogs 06-26-2014 06:55 AM

I did the same thing as my puppy wouldn't eat. Left it down 15 mins picked it up. I had to do it twice I also stopped coaxing her by adding different toppers each meal. Now she gets dry kibble a drop of water and Fruitables canned pumpkin or sweet potato a few drops on top of her food. She cleans her bowl.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

carmspack 06-26-2014 09:37 AM

put food down, go away , don't hover . 20 minutes remove food .
Provide later.

don't cater to kato

Is it the same food the breeder had been giving.

GatorDog 06-26-2014 09:39 AM

Is he feeling ok otherwise? A vet check never hurts..

Otherwise, like everyone else has mentioned...If he doesn't eat after 10 minutes, I would pick the bowl up and he can try again later in the day. I don't beg my dogs to eat and I don't leave their food out all day.