Is my vet full of it or is what I'm feeding my puppy not good? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is my vet full of it or is what I'm feeding my puppy not good?

My 4 1/2 month old GSD, Ruby, has been fed Nature's Recipe Grain Free (Chicken/Sweet Potato/Pumpkin) since she was about 9 weeks old. I also give her raw eggs, yogurt & coconut oil. For snacks, I'll sometimes give her pig's feet or raw chicken bones. I'll even give her raw snacks from time to time. I took her to the vet today for vaccines, & my vet is still disappointed in Ruby's diet. Vet told me I NEED to get her Large Breed Puppy food or there will be problems. My Ruby is 45 lbs, healthy, & beautiful. Is my vet just full of it?
Attached Thumbnails
Is my vet full of it or is what I'm feeding my puppy not good?-10372508_10152490707290050_2459861356538623501_n.jpg  
msnorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just make sure calcium is less that 1.7% and you'll be fine.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Large breed food is just to ensure the dog doesn't grow too fast for its own good. If you know what you're doing then you can feed whatever. If you don't then do what your vet says.
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

IF you were feeding a puppy food, you would want to make sure it was large breed puppy.

I would not be feeding a specialty food because if the dog develops food sensitivities on down the line, you would have eliminated a food that is often used as a change in diet for dogs with sensitivities.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

it is hard to say if she is overweight but wondering if you have more pics of her to see?
if she is indeed overweight you are looking at the potential for a lifetime of joint issues
i agree either large breed puppy or an adult food so she does not get overweight or grow too fast
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

The ingredients shows it is labeled for all life stages and is 1.0% calcium, 0.8% phosphorus with 27% protein. I would be more concerned with giving the pup a predominately chicken based food more than the fact it is not labeled as a large breed puppy food. The "numbers" look perfectly fine.

One issue with chicken is if the pup develops a chicken allergy....whoo boy..it is very hard to avoid when selecting alternate foods.

I was concerned when I fed Fromm that all those ingredients would set him up for allergies but we have zero issues in that regard......I definitely think variety is the spice of life....I have to look but there was a pretty good article on that....

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

IMO, I'd go with a large breed puppy food. I figure people have been paid a lot of money to do research on food and nutrition, I don't have a degree in that so I'd go with what has been studied.

Sounds like you have a large female. When our pup was in the 4 month age range she was in the 40's lb range. She is 90lb at 4 years old, not overweight but our vet would like to see her at 85lb.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

i like to see all dogs lean but it is crucial for large breed puppies especially
i remember diesel going through a growth spurt where he was all legs and ribs and i was mortified but he filled out fine as he got closer to a year of age
if the dog is active and playful and not lying about lethargic being lean is just fine
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

I agree with Gretchen.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mydogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
The ingredients shows it is labeled for all life stages and is 1.0% calcium, 0.8% phosphorus with 27% protein. I would be more concerned with giving the pup a predominately chicken based food more than the fact it is not labeled as a large breed puppy food. The "numbers" look perfectly fine.

One issue with chicken is if the pup develops a chicken allergy....whoo boy..it is very hard to avoid when selecting alternate foods.

I was concerned when I fed Fromm that all those ingredients would set him up for allergies but we have zero issues in that regard......I definitely think variety is the spice of life....I have to look but there was a pretty good article on that....
Yes! Even when we fed kibble I mixed it up with the meat source/ variety is good IMO to avoid food allergies or sensitivities.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.