German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   Should I feed my 7week old. adult food (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/463025-should-i-feed-my-7week-old-adult-food.html)

gsdsd 06-22-2014 02:43 AM

Should I feed my 7week old. adult food

Hello everyone .I was told by the vet that I should start feeding him adult food as of now ..that it's supposedly a better diet ..has anyone done this before ? What about raw chicken and egg?or any good recommendation on what to feed him to get him healthy and a nice coat ?thanks in advance

Liesje 06-22-2014 09:42 AM

I feed my puppies adult food, but I use an "all life stages" food that is OK for puppies. I think it helps them grow slowly. So far, we've never had a dog with pano (and neither have my friends who use the same or similar food). Some adult foods are not good for puppies.

gsdsd 06-22-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liesje (Post 5674993)
I feed my puppies adult food, but I use an "all life stages" food that is OK for puppies. I think it helps them grow slowly. So far, we've never had a dog with pano (and neither have my friends who use the same or similar food). Some adult foods are not good for puppies.

Thanks for the reply .
What brand was it ?
And did you ever fed him raw chicken or lamb ? This is my first pup and I have a lot to learn :/ ..thanks

mydogs 06-22-2014 02:50 PM

I feed Fromm puppy I wouldn't do both raw and kibble in same meal. They have Fromm large breed pup and adult. I just choose puppy for my own reasons :) calcium aim for under 1.5%

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Liesje 06-22-2014 10:38 PM

I use California Natural Lamb and Rice (large breed all life stages). I've also used Fromm in the past (Gold, I believe).

I don't feed raw and haven't fed raw and kibble at the same time. My dogs occasionally get raw as a special treat or meal. Raw is best but I would not do raw and kibble at the same time for a puppy.

StingRay 06-23-2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liesje (Post 5677041)
I use California Natural Lamb and Rice (large breed all life stages). I've also used Fromm in the past (Gold, I believe).

I don't feed raw and haven't fed raw and kibble at the same time. My dogs occasionally get raw as a special treat or meal. Raw is best but I would not do raw and kibble at the same time for a puppy.

I'm a rookie here.... Just wondering, If Raw is best, then why have you not made the switch?

Liesje 06-23-2014 09:33 AM

Several reasons......

All of my dogs have eaten the Cal Nat for years (or the puppies since 9 weeks) and do just fine. They are all healthy, have no allergies, have not gone to the vet for anything other than heartworm tests, rabies vaccines, or something injury-related. People stop me and ask me what I feed them. Their coats are strong and sleek and they smell like clean dogs.

I live in a city and have looked around for raw sources but it would involve road trips. Also it is not cost effective to feed 4+ dogs raw when you cannot buy and store in bulk. I was given a chest style freezer but cannot connect it to the basement circuit because it's already overloaded. I moved it to the garage but there are electrical issues out there (my house is about 80 years old). If I only have what little space is left in the normal kitchen freezer, that basically means buying dog food every other day which is not practical (not wasting time on that) or cost effective. I get a good deal on the kibble I use because my local pet store promotes that brand so it is always on sale and I get every 11th bag free.

Also I travel a lot with my dogs and already have 3-4 crated dogs in my minivan plus the equipment my team needs and all of our own gear, so I don't have space for large chest coolers. June can be a hot month here and we are traveling and competing 3 of 4 weekends this month. I have a container for kibble that is tall and thin and fits in its own little spot in my van without taking up space I need for a crate or flyball box. We're also gone for over 2 weeks in August and the place we stay is like 40 minutes from any grocery store, does not have a freezer, and often has unreliable electricity. I don't want to waste my vacation time driving around buying fresh raw food for my dogs when they love their kibble and are very healthy.

However, it is the best/healthiest so if you have good sources and a good way to store it, go for it. You can also buy packaged raw like Blueridge Beef, I just can't afford that with as many dogs as I have.