Help! My 1 year old GSD is only 82lbs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Help! My 1 year old GSD is only 82lbs

Hello all.

I have a one year old GSD mix. I think its a mix because it have a very thin tail and very short hair with no undercoat. When we got him is was a bit thin but that wasn't realy a concern.
We fed him for a year, twice a day, with Kirkland Supper Premium Puppy food ( the yellow bag). Of course he grew, he is a good size bu i think he is very thin.
Now, he is 12 months- i weight him today - 82 lbs. 3 Weeks ago we switched to the Kirkland Premium ( green bag). I chose Kirkland because dogfoodadvosor says it has 4 stars and almost no additives.
We have been to the vet- no worms. The vet just says he is naturally skinny.
What are your suggestions.
Help! My 1 year old GSD is only 82lbs-photo-1.jpg

Help! My 1 year old GSD is only 82lbs-photo-2.jpg

Help! My 1 year old GSD is only 82lbs-photo-3.jpg

Help! My 1 year old GSD is only 82lbs-photo-4.jpg
RussianGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

He does look a little skinny but 82 lbs on its own doesn't mean much. That's actually more than the normal weight for his age IIRC

Does he have a good appetite?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 01:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

yes, most of the time he eats well. He is a mix ( dont know with what though) so maby that accounts for his skinny.
RussianGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 02:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Help! My 1 year old GSD is only 82lbs

A mix wouldn't have anything to do with him being skinny. He can have a different shape but the fact that his bones are showing have nothing to do with his breed.

From the pics he doesn't look mixed. But I'm not an expert.

Kirkland is not the worst dog food but not the best either. But many dogs keep their weight even on cheaper kibble.

I'm not sure. Maybe someone has some ideas. If you feel like he doesn't like his food then try feeding real meat for a while and see what happens. But if you're saying he eats normal then to the vet.

How much do you give a day?

ETA the pics are not the best but I think I see his back bone.
Are his ribs visible? On the pic they're not

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by lalachka; 06-09-2014 at 02:10 AM.
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Some dogs are just naturally slim. You want to keep the hourglass shape, and feel the last 2 ribs. If you can take a picture from above so his shape can be seen, would be easier to say if to slim or skinny.

FWIW, Woolf almost 4 yrs old, bit taller then average, stays at a steady 70 lbs. Slim, but a very good weight for him.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Don't go by weight numbers, go by body condition. In GENERAL, 82 lbs at a year old would actually be a very large dog. But, if your guy is tall as it looks like he is (I have a very tall dog as well), it's misleading. Bear in mind that at a year old, he's going to be tall/gangly/awkward-teenager-ish, especially if he doesn't have a lot of muscle developed. When you run your hands down his sides, what do you feel? A good rule of thumb is that you should be able to JUST feel his ribs- like what your knuckles feel like when you lay your palm flat. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but nothing stands out as "very thin." Can you post one looking straight down at him standing- so we're looking at his back?
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEcho View Post
Don't go by weight numbers, go by body condition. In GENERAL, 82 lbs at a year old would actually be a very large dog. But, if your guy is tall as it looks like he is (I have a very tall dog as well), it's misleading. Bear in mind that at a year old, he's going to be tall/gangly/awkward-teenager-ish, especially if he doesn't have a lot of muscle developed. When you run your hands down his sides, what do you feel? A good rule of thumb is that you should be able to JUST feel his ribs- like what your knuckles feel like when you lay your palm flat. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but nothing stands out as "very thin." Can you post one looking straight down at him standing- so we're looking at his back?

My male GSD is over the breed standard in height by 2-2.5 inches and he weighs 85 pounds, he is tall and lean.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Dakota's Unbreakable Vow "Draven" ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I don't see a lot of bone (like ribs and vertebrae) showing and he has some very good leg muscles. It also helps to rotate the pictures so we don't have to tilt our heads to look!

The lack of coat does make him look thinner than a dog with similar size but there is no depth to the chest so I am not sure how much bigger you can expect.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

If he was neutered too young, before he was done growing, he will probably stay tall and lankly looking. The hormones in the reproductive system help regulate growth. Tells them when to stop/start in certain body areas. When those are removed before the animal is done growing, you can sometimes get taller than they are supposed to be and not as heavy bone developement. He really doesnt look mixed to me though. Also, GSD's are known for maturing slowly. Not being fully grown and filled out until after 4 years of age. At least in the working lines. The American showlines are bred to be large and fully developed early for better showing in the ring. This is just from my personal experiences, I am sure there are exceptions.
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

82LBS sounds fine to me. How tall is he? My last boy [WGSL/WL] was 82lbs, 28"-29" tall at 1 yr. At over 2yrs he was 29"+, 101lbs plush coat and very nicely built. As a senior he was about 95-98lbs. Another one of my GSDs [USASL/WGSL] had a shorter hard wire straight coat.
HOBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.