how much and what brand - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default how much and what brand

ok so ares went to the vet yesterday and she weights 30ibs, she got her last series of shots so she good to go. Currently she is on iams puppy large breed because i have a ton of it and i want to get rid of it all before i switch, so first question would be is what is a good brand that makes them grow big and strong? right now she is fed twice a day once in the morning before i go to work and again around 5 or 7, she gets a bowl full which is around 3.5 cups, i have a feeling i am feeding her too little? she is also 4 or 5 months she was born feb 14th im not sure if i count that month or not haha but thanks for the advice in advance
owens91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Does she act hungry? Puppies should eat as much as they want but since you are not home with her during the day that can be difficult. I like nutro max or natures choice for puppies. I don't think Iams is good for GSD. Though that was in the past. The formula may have changed since the late 80's when I was breeding. Same with Nutro and Natures Choice may have changed formulas since then. I found my pups did very well on that food. Best of luck.
msstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's good that you are taking her off of Iams, it is a low quality kibble.

I have fed my puppies Solid Gold Wolf Cub, Taste of the Wild, Wellness and Blue Buffalo. Right now Blue Buffalo is having some issues so I don't recommend feeding that.

I feed my Dalmatian puppy Wellness Complete Health Deboned Chicken & Oatmeal and my GSD gets fed Wellness Core.

Other great brands are Orijen, Fromm, Acana, Evo, Canidae, Merrick.

This website is great and it can tell you a lot about ingredients in dog food and it gives you a list of the top dog food brands.

Five Star Dry Dog Foods | Dog Food Advisor

All puppies are different and grow to be different sizes. When my boys were little puppies they were fed 3 times a day and usually got 4-5 cups of kibble depending on what their body looked like that day. Sometimes they looked perfect and sometimes they looked a little too skinny so I adjusted the kibble based on their body.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think I'm gonna try for the ojien
owens91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.