whats wrong? not hungry? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question whats wrong? not hungry?

Zeus always pounds out his food 1 1/2 cups 3 times a day blue buffalo freedom large breed puppy. he Usually is super excited when its time to eat well this morning he was not interested in it. He did eat some but not how he usually gobbles it down he was hesitant when i gave his release cue so that he could eat and just kind nibbled at it and looked more like he kind of forced himself to eat a little bit. Looking back at me and not just head in the bowl like usual. Just not him. He ate about half a cup maby from it. any ideas?
Zeus Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

How old is he? My 8 week old doesn't finish her food she just looks at it. Uninterested.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mydogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

hes 5 months old
Old 06-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Stressful. Could be a phase he's going through. Or just being picky. Is the food old? At the end of the bag?

Old 06-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogs View Post
Stressful. Could be a phase he's going through. Or just being picky. Is the food old? At the end of the bag?

the food isnt old but it is at the end of the bag so hopefully that has to do with it but he also had diarrhea just a couple hours after breakfast. hes had lunch i gave only 1 cup he finished it but took him 30 minutes or so. just last night he was like he always is and eats it all in 30 seconds so its out of no where. hes never picky the diarrhea has me a little more concerned now as well..
Old 06-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wonder if he's just not feeling well. See if he eats in morning. If not buy a fresh bag. I get nervous with food.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Could be the food, lots of issues posted about Blue Buffalo lately or maybe a "bug" going around, just had one run through our house, last one of our four dogs is still on the mend from it. When in doubt, check with your vet.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sometimes for whatever reason they don't want to eat dry kibble. Lola did the same thing this morning, wouldn't eat her dry food, I noticed she went outside and ate grass then had a lovely vomit.

Zeus may just be feeling sick and therefore not want to eat, make sure he has access to grass or the outside so that he can vomit if he needs to.

I only every find Harry and Lola do this with their dry food in the morning, they get only raw in the evenings and have never left the raw - only the dry.

Also, something else to consider is that the food bowl has been properly rinsed so that there is no dish washing detergent residue.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 12:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

i went out and got him a new bag of food took him out for some exercise just fed him dinner and he ate the usual amount still took him a bit longer but he finished it. i can tell hes not feeling 100% today. since he is eating ill give him the weekend to see if he improves and if not monday ill take him to the vet thanks everyone any more advice is still welcome.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He could be teething and his gums hurt. At 5 months, that's right around that age when his adult teeth are coming in.
Lucy Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.