German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   whats wrong? not hungry? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/457858-whats-wrong-not-hungry.html)

Zeus Cannon 06-06-2014 02:14 PM

whats wrong? not hungry?

Zeus always pounds out his food 1 1/2 cups 3 times a day blue buffalo freedom large breed puppy. he Usually is super excited when its time to eat well this morning he was not interested in it. He did eat some but not how he usually gobbles it down he was hesitant when i gave his release cue so that he could eat and just kind nibbled at it and looked more like he kind of forced himself to eat a little bit. Looking back at me and not just head in the bowl like usual. Just not him. He ate about half a cup maby from it. any ideas?

mydogs 06-06-2014 03:56 PM

How old is he? My 8 week old doesn't finish her food she just looks at it. Uninterested.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Zeus Cannon 06-06-2014 05:11 PM

hes 5 months old

mydogs 06-06-2014 06:11 PM

Stressful. Could be a phase he's going through. Or just being picky. Is the food old? At the end of the bag?

Zeus Cannon 06-06-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mydogs (Post 5611274)
Stressful. Could be a phase he's going through. Or just being picky. Is the food old? At the end of the bag?

the food isnt old but it is at the end of the bag so hopefully that has to do with it but he also had diarrhea just a couple hours after breakfast. hes had lunch i gave only 1 cup he finished it but took him 30 minutes or so. just last night he was like he always is and eats it all in 30 seconds so its out of no where. hes never picky the diarrhea has me a little more concerned now as well..

mydogs 06-06-2014 08:10 PM

I wonder if he's just not feeling well. See if he eats in morning. If not buy a fresh bag. I get nervous with food.

Nigel 06-06-2014 08:40 PM

Could be the food, lots of issues posted about Blue Buffalo lately or maybe a "bug" going around, just had one run through our house, last one of our four dogs is still on the mend from it. When in doubt, check with your vet.

Harry and Lola 06-06-2014 08:48 PM

Sometimes for whatever reason they don't want to eat dry kibble. Lola did the same thing this morning, wouldn't eat her dry food, I noticed she went outside and ate grass then had a lovely vomit.

Zeus may just be feeling sick and therefore not want to eat, make sure he has access to grass or the outside so that he can vomit if he needs to.

I only every find Harry and Lola do this with their dry food in the morning, they get only raw in the evenings and have never left the raw - only the dry.

Also, something else to consider is that the food bowl has been properly rinsed so that there is no dish washing detergent residue.

Zeus Cannon 06-06-2014 11:00 PM

i went out and got him a new bag of food took him out for some exercise just fed him dinner and he ate the usual amount still took him a bit longer but he finished it. i can tell hes not feeling 100% today. since he is eating ill give him the weekend to see if he improves and if not monday ill take him to the vet thanks everyone any more advice is still welcome.

Lucy Dog 06-06-2014 11:07 PM

He could be teething and his gums hurt. At 5 months, that's right around that age when his adult teeth are coming in.