German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Feeding Our Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/)
-   -   14 week old picky eater... Still trying to find a solution... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/457586-14-week-old-picky-eater-still-trying-find-solution.html)

WizAKC 06-05-2014 09:06 PM

14 week old picky eater... Still trying to find a solution...
 
Wiz (14 weeks) is really something! He currently weighs 30 pounds and he's on Royal Canin Maxi Puppy dry food. My goal for him is to eat 3 cups a day, 1 cup per meal. The thing is he barely has a meal... I will give him the food, he sniffs it and then walks away in disgust! I leave his food there in hopes he will eventually eat it. Every now and then he'll take a few bites then walk away. So I tried to put bits of cheddar cheese and turkey breast in his kibble and that worked for a couple days. But then he started eating everything BUT the kibble. So I tried a raw egg over the kibble... he licks up the egg and spits out the kibble! I've tried Blue Buffalo wet food mixed with the kibble and he doesn't like it at all... Any suggestions for an additive that will make him eat the whole bowl in one sitting? Perhaps another wet food? I definitely will look for a different dry food if I can't find an additive that works. HELP!

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/...ps82838648.jpg

Sunflowers 06-05-2014 09:11 PM

I would not add something on top of a food if the dog won't eat it. They know best. I see the eye boogies, so it may be something in the current food that is not agreeing with your pup.

Start here and try the foods recommended.

Best Dog Foods

Or go raw. Most dogs will eat raw enthusiastically.

WizAKC 06-05-2014 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 5607626)
I would not add something on top of a food if the dog won't eat it. They know best. I see the eye boogies, so it may be something in the current food that is not agreeing with your pup.

Start here and try the foods recommended.

Best Dog Foods

Or go raw. Most dogs will eat raw enthusiastically.

Okay that makes sense. The discharge from his eyes is from this morning. I actually have been looking into a raw diet and I did a lot of research today. This just sucks because I bought the big bag of RC that will never be eaten haha. At least I know what NOT to feed him now. Thanks! :thumbup:

Sunflowers 06-05-2014 10:40 PM

Where did you buy it? Most pet stores will take the food back if the dog doesn't eat it.

The discharge is not normal. Mine usually got some stuff in the corners of his eyes from chicken. If the discharge continues, a vet visit would be in order.

WizAKC 06-06-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 5607882)
Where did you buy it? Most pet stores will take the food back if the dog doesn't eat it.

The discharge is not normal. Mine usually got some stuff in the corners of his eyes from chicken. If the discharge continues, a vet visit would be in order.

Petsmart. I still have the receipt so I'll go there tomorrow to see if I can exchange it. I'll also be sure to discuss the cause of his discharge with the vet this Monday, he is scheduled to get his second cycle of shots.

anitram 06-06-2014 11:56 AM

My puppy was the pickiest eater ever until he got to about 4.5 months old. Now he basically devours anything you put in front of him. Trust me, I understand how frustrating it can be!

What we tried that worked:
- greek yogurt (I'd add like a tbsp or 1.5 tbsp per cup of dry food and it is very easy to just stir it around with a spoon and cover every piece of kibble)
- grated carrot (freshly grated, Hans loved the sweetness and it is also very easy to spread around the kibble)
- scrambled egg (for some reason he'd eat the kibble that had bits of it on it...like your puppy if we gave him a raw one he'd just suck it up and leave the kibble behind)

mydogs 06-06-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anitram (Post 5609698)
My puppy was the pickiest eater ever until he got to about 4.5 months old. Now he basically devours anything you put in front of him. Trust me, I understand how frustrating it can be!



What we tried that worked:

- greek yogurt (I'd add like a tbsp or 1.5 tbsp per cup of dry food and it is very easy to just stir it around with a spoon and cover every piece of kibble)

- grated carrot (freshly grated, Hans loved the sweetness and it is also very easy to spread around the kibble)

- scrambled egg (for some reason he'd eat the kibble that had bits of it on it...like your puppy if we gave him a raw one he'd just suck it up and leave the kibble behind)





Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mydogs 06-06-2014 12:12 PM

Ooops missed reply. Good idea shredded carrot :)


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Mister C 06-06-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WizAKC (Post 5607602)
I will give him the food, he sniffs it and then walks away in disgust! I leave his food there in hopes he will eventually eat it.

Cute pup you have there.

I suggest taking his bowl up after 10 minutes or so if he isn't eating. My little guy refused his breakfast a couple of weeks ago. He was hungry for dinner that night and wolfed it down.

Next morning he walks away from his bowl again without eating. 10 minutes later I go to pick up his bowl. The little guy saw this happening, bolted for his dish and then ate it all up. He hasn't refused a meal since.

However, some dogs have food allergies. So maybe your pup is allergic to something in his food and wont' eat it. Might explain the eye boogies too.

Best of luck,

Michael

WizAKC 06-06-2014 11:42 PM

Thank you all!

His discharge has subsided so that's a good sign. He ate his kibble for breakfast and lunch today (slowly of course) but I came across a refrigerated food called Vital by Freshpet... I gave him a little bit to see if it would spark his interest and oh boy... it's almost like he's ready to eat the whole roll!

Before I give him more I just wanted to know what you guys think... Should I add it to his kibble diet? If so, what's a reasonable proportion? Or should I discontinue the kibble and give him strictly Vital? The guide says that he should eat 1-2 pounds for a puppy his weight. Let me know what you think!

Freshpet Vital Dog Food | Review and Rating


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2