Change food for a picky eater - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Change food for a picky eater

Bonnie suddenly refuses to eat her kibble but still goes for her treats and everything else. It doesn't really bother me because I intend to switch her to a different brand anyways, but I don't know how to do the switch. I know I should change the food gradually, but if she doesn't touch the old brand will she eat the new one at all or maybe only pick the new kibbles out of the bowl? Any advice on how to do the switch? Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Bonzay is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzay View Post
Bonnie suddenly refuses to eat her kibble but still goes for her treats and everything else. It doesn't really bother me because I intend to switch her to a different brand anyways, but I don't know how to do the switch. I know I should change the food gradually, but if she doesn't touch the old brand will she eat the new one at all or maybe only pick the new kibbles out of the bowl? Any advice on how to do the switch? Thanks!

I've had dogs that won't react to a immediate change in kibbles. In fact I've never had a dog that did have adverse reactions. I think it comes down to the sensitivity of that particular dog's stomach, which in your case may be reactive. But if she is refusing the kibble in the first place, I wouldn't bother easing into the new stuff if she enjoys it. Just my nonprofessional opinion though.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your response! I really need her to eat something, that's my main concern right now. I guess I'll give her a little bit of the new food, see what happens and then slowly increase the portions.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ever think about not feeding kibble?

There are dehydrated foods like the Honest Kitchen, you add water and its kind of like a moist paste, or there are prepared frozen raw foods, thaw and eat.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your input Gretchen! I thought about feeding raw once I know more about it. She likes kibble, just not this one anymore.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

We feed our girl Fromm four star. It has several interchangeable favors to choose from..... We buy the medium bags, and that usually keeps her guessing

Mishka&Milo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I also rotate through the Fromm four star, I buy a new flavour each bag. The recipes are made so there's no need for a slow switch, you can feed one flavour for breakfast and another for dinner with no side effects.

My poodle is a very picky eater so I feel your pain, she would go 3-4 days without eating at times. Since changing to the Fromm she has missed only one meal in over 2 years - she really loves it

The other thing you can do is add toppers. I use Tripett (canned tripe), raw egg, coconut oil, salmon oil, plain greek yogurt as some examples on a daily basis. It entices the dog to eat but also adds benefits of vitamins and other good things to their diet. I also add warm water to the kibble every time and let it soak for a few minutes before feeding

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for your responses! I received Dr. Tim's Kinesis and she loves it! It seems her stomach handles the transition just fine, at least she's been digesting it well after the two days on new food. If she's getting tired of this brand I'll definitely try Fromm Four-Star.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

just be aware that you can create a diva if you start changing foods just because she gets bored.
nothing wrong with switching formulas but if you switch every time she loses interest, you are likely to find yourself with half-eaten bags of a dozen kinds of food
Dainerra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

You're right, I definitely don't want to change her food every time she's fed up with it, but I meant to change her food anyways. I went from Purina One to Dr. Tim's; a huge upgrade!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.