Pup not eating enough - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pup not eating enough

Took her to the vet for her vaccinations and had her weight checked too and he has said that my 4 month old pup should be a little more muscular and needs to gain a kg or so more. She weighs 15.3kg now which is on the small side. Emailed the breeder who also agreed she needs to pack on some weight.

I would definitely love to get her to gain weight but she doesn't finish her food all the time. I feed her one cup each of dry food for breakfast lunch and dinner. Sometimes she finishes her meal and sometimes she doesn't and the vet says I should be giving her 1 1/2 cups instead.

Any suggestions on how to get her to finish her meals before I even get her to start eating more??
nezzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That is almost 34 pounds, and she is 4 months old. Sounds good to me!
Hans was 33 pounds at that age.

How big are the parents?
Can you post pics of her from the side and from above?
3 cups a day seems adequate to me, depending on the type of food. You don't want a fat GSD. It is terrible for their joints.

Here is Delgado's weight:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Delgado was 20.6 lbs at 12 weeks and 30.6 lbs at 16 weeks on the vet scale, so exactly 10 lbs in two weeks lol. He was always very lean and both parents are within standard.

As others have said, keep a eye on his waistline and strive to keep him lean to reduce stress on his joints as he grows

Last edited by Sunflowers; 05-11-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

She eats 100% dry food everyday except friday nights when we give her raw liver.

Don't have a current pic in my computer now. Most current is 3 weeks ago.

Parents were not large size but rather "stacked" like MMA fighters and bodybuilders.
Sire

Dam
Old 05-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

She is so freaking cute!!! I'm no help with the weight. She looks happy and healthy though!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ZoeD1217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think she's teething. Check her gums to see if there are any signs of bleeding or if any of her baby teeth are missing...Alice lost her appetite around 4 months old too when she started teething. She was skinny too, you could see the edges of her hip bones n she weighed only about 10kgs. Even now (5.5 months old), she only eats 3/4 to 1 cup twice a day and sometimes she does not finish her food or even worse does not eat at all. I heard they will teeth until 6 months. Most of Alice's teeth are in but every now and then I see blood on her gums. Try soaking her kibbles in warm water for about 20 mins before giving it to her n u can add some wet food to it. It helped with Alice but be careful not to spoil your pup with the wet food unless of course you are willing to buy her wet food all the time.

Last edited by Alice13; 05-11-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Alice13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 11:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice13 View Post
I think she's teething. Check her gums to see if there are any signs of bleeding or if any of her baby teeth are missing...Alice lost her appetite around 4 months old too when she started teething. She was skinny too, you could see the edges of her hip bones n she weighed only about 10kgs. Even now (5.5 months old), she only eats 3/4 to 1 cup twice a day and sometimes she does not finish her food or even worse does not eat at all. I heard they will teeth until 6 months. Most of Alice's teeth are in but every now and then I see blood on her gums. Try soaking her kibbles in warm water for about 20 mins before giving it to her n u can add some wet food to it. It helped with Alice but be careful not to spoil your pup with the wet food unless of course you are willing to buy her wet food all the time.

My pup isn't teething yet, her teeth are still all there. She can still play tug and holds on strongly without feeling pain. I did the soaking the kibble in water trick too, doesn't really work though. She'll finish her breakfast and dinner but her lunch she totally leaves alone.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think she's fine.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

In that case she might be too full when you feed her lunch. Maybe you should try cutting out her lunch n feeding her a little more for breakfast and dinner or maybe try spacing her meals out more. I agree with Sunflowers though. She looks fine.

Last edited by Alice13; 05-12-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Alice13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

I agree she does seem pretty healthy regardless, I sometimes mix my pups food with some soft foods makes it seem more enticing to her. Instead of the water trick though, when my pup actually needed her food softened but I didn't want to feed her soft puppy food as it often causes diarrhea I used chicken broth. I wouldn't worry about it too much isn't like she's malnourished before you know it she'll be a big ol girl! My girl was 12.3 lbs at a little over 2 months old.
KayDub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Great looking line throughout. I would add chicken broth.. Try it, if it don't werk then you need to try something else. But, it's possible the vet is wrong, because the dog could be slow maturing. Bella at 20 weeks eats five - six cups easy per day and she's 50 pounds and on the slim side of life..
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.